How do people with strabismus (cross eyed) see?

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of strabismus, or a wandering eye, and how it affects one's ability to see properly. The speaker shares their personal experience with having a wandering eye and undergoing multiple surgeries to correct it. They also mention how the condition can affect the development of visual processing centers and make it difficult to see with both eyes.
sameeralord
Hello everyone,

I have this friend who has a slight strabismus. His eyes look away from me when speaking, but that means he is actually looking at me. I can understand how these people, brains may learn to ignore certain images and adapt to this condition. But how can his eyes physically look away from me, and still see me. Also in a case where both eyes are crossed, wouldn't it be almost impossible to see properly. Thank you :)

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
I had a wandering eye growing up and had it fixed through the course of three surgeries. One of the surgeries was an over-correction and gave me strabismus. I was actually looking at people, just only with one eye, the off-shift of the other eye makes it look like both eye are collectively looking elsewhere. As a result, one of my eyes is clearly inferior to the other because of the lack of development in my visual processing centers since I was usually not using that one eye. Once it was fixed, I was able to see normally (i.e. with depth perception) but even still if I close my good eye, it's very hard to read text and other fine features.

1. How does strabismus affect a person's vision?

Strabismus, or being cross eyed, can affect a person's vision in various ways depending on the severity of the condition. In most cases, it can cause double vision, poor depth perception, and difficulty with focusing and tracking moving objects.

2. Can people with strabismus see straight?

In most cases, people with strabismus have difficulty seeing straight due to the misalignment of their eyes. This can lead to double vision or blurred vision, making it difficult to see things clearly.

3. Is it possible for strabismus to be corrected?

Yes, strabismus can be corrected through various treatments such as corrective glasses, eye exercises, or surgery. It is important to seek medical attention from an ophthalmologist to determine the best course of treatment for each individual case.

4. Can strabismus cause permanent vision loss?

In most cases, strabismus itself does not cause permanent vision loss. However, if left untreated, it can lead to a condition called amblyopia (lazy eye) which can result in permanent vision loss in one eye.

5. Is strabismus hereditary?

Yes, strabismus can be hereditary in some cases. If a family member has strabismus, there is a higher chance of other family members developing the condition. However, it can also be caused by other factors such as neurological conditions or eye muscle disorders.