Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do relativity and quantum mechanics contradict each other?

1. Oct 16, 2010 #1
    I didn't think this question really belonged in either sub-section so I put it here. I hope that's OK. I've always heard that they contradict each other but I've never understood how. What predictions do they make differently?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2010 #2
    The biggest issue is that the Schrodinger equation (the fundamental equation of QM) is not lorentz-invariant. This means that the equations of QM are different for two observers moving at a relative velocity to one another---which is clearly unacceptable for relativity.

Additionally, QM always maintains a conserved particle number. From relativity we learn that [tex]E=\gamma mc^2[/tex], and thus whenever the energy of a system (e.g. a pair of photons) is greater than the rest mass energy of another particle-pair (e.g. electron-positron pair), we can expect some probability of particle creation.

4. Oct 16, 2010 #3
  5. Oct 17, 2010 #4
    some one told me yesterday that massive particles indeed can reach the speed of light, is this true?

6. Oct 17, 2010 #5
    99.99...% the speed of light and as many "9"'s you can afford, but never 100% the speed of light.

Now frankly, it does make sense that anything massive could never go as fast as something that is not.

7. Oct 17, 2010 #6
    I'm pretty sure the dirac equation is fully relativistic.

The Dirac equation is still missing other features... e.g. remember it only applies to spin-1/2 particles, and its still not a field theory---so again, it has issues with varying particle number.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook