How do stellarator vs tokamak generate electicity?

• Thread starter kodama
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

if you can get nuclear fusion in a stellarator vs tokamak how does that heat energy use to drive energy?

also is it d-t from lithium for stellarator vs tokamak or something else?

Answers and Replies

The plasma geometry doesn't change those parts. You heat some liquid (or gas), make hot gas out of it, drive a turbine which leads to a generator.
D-T with tritium bread from lithium is the most promising fuel for all concepts.

The plasma geometry doesn't change those parts. You heat some liquid (or gas), make hot gas out of it, drive a turbine which leads to a generator.
D-T with tritium bread from lithium is the most promising fuel for all concepts.
are there specifics on how to get a hot gas out of these generators? so how is the lithium bread?

Did you check the Wikipedia articles? They explain all the basics and have links to more detailed descriptions.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
are there specifics on how to get a hot gas out of these generators? so how is the lithium bread?
Lithium is usually mined from the ground, and it is the less common isotope, 6Li that is used to produce T.

I am missing something here. I understand how a took at or stellarator work, what I am struggling with is how do we get the heat out of a plasma in a stellarator running at 100,000,000 degrees in a quasi loop ? Or if fusion releases loads of energy how do we collect the energy, can somebody comment please?

The fusion reaction releases high-energetic neutrons, those are not confined by the plasma (as they are neutral). They release their energy in the surrounding walls. Thermal radiation from the plasma goes to the walls as well.

Yes, we are still using steam technology from 200 years ago to generate electricity. Use heat to generate steam to turn a turbine. I thought some people were working on MHD (magneto-hydro dynamics) to directly convert the moving electrons to create electricity from the plasma stream. Maybe they first need to create stable reactions, then they can start working on direct energy conversions.