Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do stellarator vs tokamak generate electicity?

1. Oct 27, 2015 #1
    if you can get nuclear fusion in a stellarator vs tokamak how does that heat energy use to drive energy?

also is it d-t from lithium for stellarator vs tokamak or something else?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The plasma geometry doesn't change those parts. You heat some liquid (or gas), make hot gas out of it, drive a turbine which leads to a generator.
    D-T with tritium bread from lithium is the most promising fuel for all concepts.

4. Oct 27, 2015 #3
    are there specifics on how to get a hot gas out of these generators? so how is the lithium bread?

5. Oct 27, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Did you check the Wikipedia articles? They explain all the basics and have links to more detailed descriptions.

6. Oct 27, 2015 #5

Astronuc

Lithium is usually mined from the ground, and it is the less common isotope, 6Li that is used to produce T.

7. Dec 26, 2015 #6
    I am missing something here. I understand how a took at or stellarator work, what I am struggling with is how do we get the heat out of a plasma in a stellarator running at 100,000,000 degrees in a quasi loop ? Or if fusion releases loads of energy how do we collect the energy, can somebody comment please?

8. Dec 26, 2015 #7

mfb

2016 Award

The fusion reaction releases high-energetic neutrons, those are not confined by the plasma (as they are neutral). They release their energy in the surrounding walls. Thermal radiation from the plasma goes to the walls as well.

9. Dec 28, 2015 #8
    Yes, we are still using steam technology from 200 years ago to generate electricity. Use heat to generate steam to turn a turbine. I thought some people were working on MHD (magneto-hydro dynamics) to directly convert the moving electrons to create electricity from the plasma stream. Maybe they first need to create stable reactions, then they can start working on direct energy conversions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook