How do teeth sense their surface?

In summary: If you have a sensitivity to certain foods or drinks (or if you just don't like the taste of sugar), then avoiding those altogether may be best.
jostpuur
I've noticed that if I allow something sugary to get into contact with my teeth, it can start hurting mildly immediately. I've thought that teeth have nerves mainly in the cores of the teeth. How can nerves, somewhere deep in the teeth, sense when sugar hits the surface of the teeth?

Biology news on Phys.org
jostpuur said:
I've noticed that if I allow something sugary to get into contact with my teeth, it can start hurting mildly immediately. I've thought that teeth have nerves mainly in the cores of the teeth. How can nerves, somewhere deep in the teeth, sense when sugar hits the surface of the teeth?
Probably cavities.

I've never had cavities, but it has happened to me too. And it only happens just once every blue moon, so I don't think it's a cavity.
That's a good question though. Is sugar ionized?

This is actually an easy one: Your teeth are formed of VERY hard mineralized enamel, but acid from bacteria release acid, and before that forms a full-blown cavity (and sometimes it never does) the enamel can become porous. Dentin, meanwhile, is already quite porous and sensitive (although, it does not have nerves in it). The pulp, contains very sensitive nerves, for the sake of telling you how hard to chew, rtc.

Of course, if for some reasons your gums are midly inflamed (sub-clinical) it can be enough to expose some tooth surface that is sensitive. There is also the issue that much pain from teeth and the jaw can be referred from or to other regions.

As for sugar, it's a molecular compound, not ionic. That said, Evo is right, this is most likely a cavity which is not yet evident on your x-rays. Remember, a cavity is: a hole, but not JUST that, it's softened and decayed dentin, often beneat a shell of enamel. I would STRONGLY suggest getting this checked on x-ray. If this is a cavity, you do not want it getting close to the pulp... that = a root canal.

If your teeth are healthy, it may be a fluoride rinse could help to reminerlize some enamel, or you may find something like "Sensodyne" useful.

This is an interesting observation and question. Teeth do indeed have nerves that run through the core of the teeth, called the pulp, which is responsible for sensing pain and temperature. However, these nerves are also connected to the surface of the teeth through tiny channels called dentinal tubules. These tubules are filled with fluid and can transmit sensations from the surface of the tooth to the nerves in the pulp.

When sugary substances come into contact with the surface of the teeth, they can be broken down by bacteria in the mouth, producing acid. This acid can then dissolve the minerals in the tooth's enamel, creating tiny holes or pits on the surface. These pits can expose the dentinal tubules, allowing the sugary substance and its acid to reach the nerves in the pulp, causing pain.

Additionally, the enamel of our teeth is not completely smooth. It has microscopic cracks and imperfections, which can also allow the acid to reach the dentinal tubules and cause sensitivity. This is why even small amounts of sugar can cause immediate pain.

Overall, the nerves in the pulp of our teeth are connected to the surface through the dentinal tubules, allowing them to sense when sugary substances come into contact with the teeth and cause pain. It is important to maintain good oral hygiene and limit sugary foods and drinks to prevent damage to the enamel and reduce sensitivity.

1. How do teeth sense the texture of food?

Teeth have specialized cells called odontoblasts that are responsible for sensing the texture of food. These cells are located in the pulp of the tooth and have nerve-like projections that extend to the surface of the tooth. When these projections come into contact with food particles, they send signals to the brain, allowing us to perceive the texture of food.

2. What role do nerves play in tooth sensitivity?

Nerves play a crucial role in tooth sensitivity. They are responsible for transmitting signals from the tooth to the brain, allowing us to feel sensations such as hot, cold, and pressure. When the nerves in the tooth are exposed due to enamel erosion or gum recession, it can lead to increased tooth sensitivity.

3. Can teeth sense different temperatures?

Yes, teeth have the ability to sense different temperatures. This is due to the presence of nerves in the tooth that can detect changes in temperature. The enamel, which is the outer layer of the tooth, also plays a role in temperature sensation by insulating the tooth from extreme temperatures.

4. How do teeth sense pressure?

Teeth have tiny, microscopic tubes called dentinal tubules that run from the surface of the tooth to the pulp. When pressure is applied to the tooth, it causes the fluid in these tubes to move, triggering nerve impulses that are then sent to the brain. This allows us to perceive pressure on the tooth.

5. What causes tooth sensitivity?

Tooth sensitivity can be caused by a variety of factors, including enamel erosion, gum recession, tooth decay, and teeth grinding. These issues can expose the sensitive nerves of the tooth, leading to increased sensitivity to hot, cold, and pressure. Poor oral hygiene and certain dental procedures can also contribute to tooth sensitivity.