Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do these new cold asphalts, that allow to repair potholes filled with water work?

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    How do these new cold asphalts, that allow to repair potholes filled with water work? What chemistry/mechanism allows them to be so easy to manipulate at normal temperature and then rapidly solidify in a permanent road solution?
    I am referring to a new kind of cold asphalt, as shown in the following video - .

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2
    Re: How do these new cold asphalts, that allow to repair potholes filled with water w

I don't know, but that's pretty awesome. I wish they'd use that here.

4. Feb 21, 2012 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: How do these new cold asphalts, that allow to repair potholes filled with water w

It is likely a polymer-modified asphalt. These are produced by mixing a polymer resin into the asphalt diluted with a bit of solvent and a surfactant. The polymer resin may be reactive or not. Looks like it is of the reactive type in this example. If I were to formulate a product like this, I might use DuPont's Elvaloy RET in one of the asphalt portions of the concrete. How I mix it, how much to mix, use of catalysts and their type, type of surfactant and amounts, limestone grading, etc... will all be a trade secret of course. I would mix the reactive material onto the asphalt-coated limestone in a second step. I would flash dry the reactive coating to seal the interior asphalt (containing the catalyst) and would oil coat the final product to prevent drying. When the asphalt was mechanically compressed, the carefully-isolated layers of asphalt, volatile solvent, catalyst and oil would mix and initiate the curing reaction.
    The ability to provide a bond in wet conditions may be a gimmick. You notice that the concrete is slowly compressed, allowing the water to migrate to the surface before it is finally compressed into it's final form. The lack of a bond coat is likewise a gimmick. Repairing a pothole only when dry is not really a requirement unless you are using hot mix or you use a cold mix with water-soluble emulsifiers (most do).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  5. Feb 21, 2012 #4

Thank you for your answer! That explains it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook