How do these statements differ?

• Thread starter dipole
  • Start date
So the two notations produce different sets of numbers. In summary, the statement "|x| < 1" and the statement "|x| \leq s < 1 for some s" are different because the first one is a complete statement defining a set of numbers, while the second one requires additional context to define a specific set of numbers.
dipole
More than once I have been marked wrong for this, and it's beginning to annoy me...

How is the statement,

[itex] |x| < 1 [/itex]

different from the statement,

[itex] |x| \leq s < 1 [/itex] for some [itex] s [/itex] ?

This comes up when talking about the radius of convergence for some series.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
One statement is a partial of the other.

If that's supposed to be a joke or something, I really don't get it. I'm asking how they logically differ and what difference it makes about the statement of convergence.

dipole
What is the relation to s in the first and only the first statement?
It does not exist.
Therefore it is a partial statement of the second one. It usually will be marked wrong.

Assuming we are talking about the reals
##|x| < 1## means the open interval ##(-1,1)##
##|x| \leq s < 1## means the closed interval ##[-s,s]## for some ##0<s<1##.

Hint: consider ##\frac{1+s}{2}##

Why don't you tell us the context in which one is supposed to matter and the other doesn't. Typically it is relevant when you are talking about uniform convergence: the series
[tex] \sum_{n\geq 0} x^n [/tex]
converges in (-1,1) and converges uniformly in [-s,s] for any s < 1. So when doing proofs about integrating and differentiating the power series that require uniform convergence to hold you have to restrict yourself to [-s,s].

I see no difference between the two either..

Office_Shredder said:
Why don't you tell us the context in which one is supposed to matter and the other doesn't. Typically it is relevant when you are talking about uniform convergence: the series
[tex] \sum_{n\geq 0} x^n [/tex]
converges in (-1,1) and converges uniformly in [-s,s] for any s < 1. So when doing proofs about integrating and differentiating the power series that require uniform convergence to hold you have to restrict yourself to [-s,s].

I agree, you should show us the correct context.

"|x|< 1" refers to any number satisfying -1< x< 1. The set of such numbers includes numbers "arbitrarily" close to 1.

"[itex]|x|\le s[/itex] for some s< 1" posits some specific bound on x less than 1. The set of such numbers does NOT include number "arbitrarily" close to 1.

The reason the two statements are different is: There is no real number that is the less than 1 but the "nearest" number to 1.

A statement like yours would be correct if you were talking about integers. For example if N is an integer and ##|N| < 10##, then there is an integer S such that ##|N| <= S < 10##, and of course S = 9.

But the same logic doesn't work for real numbers, or rationals, because you can always find another number in between ANY pair of real or rational numbers.

Whatever number you choose for s, I can choose another number closer to 1 - for example (1+s)/2. So the number you call "some s" doesn't exist.

This logical error is similar to the wrong idea that the number written as "0.999999..." in decimal notation is somehow different from the number "1".

OK, so is the issue that we can't represent an open interval as a closed interval with different endpoints, because these endpoints would have to be, essentially, hyperreal?

1MileCrash said:
OK, so is the issue that we can't represent an open interval as a closed interval with different endpoints, because these endpoints would have to be, essentially, hyperreal?

An open interval has no endpoints, not even hyperreal ones.

R136a1 said:
An open interval has no endpoints, not even hyperreal ones.

Then replace my use of "endpoints" with "numbers that are next to the little parenthesis or bracket things in the notation" if you'd prefer.

I don't know what you'd call x and y in the interval (x,y) besides endpoints. They aren't included in the interval, but I've never heard anyone hesitate to call them endpoints.

Last edited:
1MileCrash said:
Then replace my use of "endpoints" with "numbers that are next to the little parenthesis or bracket things in the notation" if you'd prefer.

I don't know what you'd call x and y in the interval (x,y) besides endpoints. They aren't included in the interval, but I've never heard anyone hesitate to call them endpoints.

I guess endpoint is a suitable name, but you seemed to imply that they belong to the interval, which they don't. You could always use suprema or infima.

R136a1 said:
I guess endpoint is a suitable name, but you seemed to imply that they belong to the interval, which they don't. You could always use suprema or infima.

What I'm asking / saying is that from the replies above, if the OPs error is similar/equivalent to the idea that I cannot represent the interval:

(x, y)

As a closed interval

[a, b]

By defining new numbers a and b, because in order for the intervals to be equivalent, a and b would have to be defined in a way that made them not real numbers.

dipole said:
More than once I have been marked wrong for this, and it's beginning to annoy me...

How is the statement,

[itex] |x| < 1 [/itex]

different from the statement,

[itex] |x| \leq s < 1 [/itex] for some [itex] s [/itex] ?

Technically those are not statements. To be a statement, you would have to give a complete context for those notations. For example, "There exists a number x such that |x| < 1". A statement must be a claim that is True or False.

Interpreting |x| < 1 to mean "the set of numbers x such that |x| < 1" doesn't produce a statement. It produces a noun.

Perhaps you mean to ask whether the two notations are notations for the same set of numbers. Interpreting |x| <1 as a specification of set defines a particular set. The second notation does not define a particular set unless there is more context that defines a particular s. Perhaps the context you are using is "There exists a number s such that s < 1 and the series converges for all numbers x such that |x| < s". That statement does not comment on whether the series converges for a number y such that s < y < 1.

Related to How do these statements differ?

What is the difference between a statement and a hypothesis?

A statement is a general claim or observation about something, while a hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon. In scientific research, a hypothesis is used to test the validity of a statement.

How do statements and theories differ?

Statements are specific claims or observations, while theories are broad explanations that have been extensively tested and supported by evidence. Theories can also incorporate multiple statements.

What is the distinction between a statement and a prediction?

A statement is an assertion about a fact or observation, while a prediction is a statement about a future event or outcome. Predictions are often based on statements and can be tested through experimentation.

How do statements and laws differ?

Statements are general claims or observations, while laws are specific, well-supported statements that describe a natural phenomenon. Laws are often used to make predictions and guide scientific research.

What is the difference between a statement and an opinion?

A statement is a factual claim that can be tested and supported by evidence, while an opinion is a personal belief or judgement that is not necessarily based on evidence. In scientific research, statements are preferred over opinions as they are more objective and verifiable.