How do we get the right constant?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the explicit Euler method for solving initial-boundary value problems and the error bound for this method. The calculations are shown to be correct, but the constant of the error inequality may not be as small as desired due to the limitations of the method.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)We consider the initial - boundary value problem

$$u_t(t,x)=a(t,x) u_{xx}(t,x)-c(t,x) u(t,x) \forall t \in [0,T_f], x \in [a,b] \\ u(0,x)=u_0(x) \forall x \in [a,b] \\ u(t,a)=0=u(t,b) \forall t \in [0,T_f]\\ a,c \in C^1, a(t,x)>0, c(t,x) \geq 0$$

$$\tau=\frac{T_f}{N_t}, t_n=n \tau, n=0,1, \dots, N_t$$

We consider the explicit Euler method.

The sheme is $u_i^{n+1}= \mu a_i^n u_{i+1}^n +(1- 2 \mu a_i^n - \tau c_i^n) u_i^n + \mu a_i^n u_{i-1}^n$

$u_i^n=u_0(x_i)$ for $n=0, \forall i=0, \dots, N_x+1$

$u_i^n=0$ for $i=0, i=N_x+1$ , $\forall n=0, \dots, N_t$

Let $u$ be the exact solution of the problem.
Suppose that $\mu a_i^n +\frac{\tau}{2} c_i^n \leq \frac{1}{2} \forall i,n$.

Then $\max_{1 \leq i \leq N_x} |u(t_n, x_i)-u_i^n| \leq T_f \left( \frac{\tau}{2} M_{tt}+\frac{h^2}{12} M_{xxxx} A \right) $, where $A=||a(t,x)||_{\infty}, M_{tt}=||u_{tt}(t,x)||_{\infty}, M_{xxxx}=||u_{xxxx}||_{\infty}$.

I want to show the above inequality.$e_i^n:=u(t_n, x_i)-u_i^n, e_i^0=0$

I have shown that $E_n \leq (2+2 \mu A) E_{n-1}+\tau \left( \frac{\tau}{2} M_{tt}+ A \frac{h^2}{12} M_{xxxx}\right)$, where $E_n=\max_{1 \leq i \leq N_x} |e_i^n|$.But then we get that $E_n \leq \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} (2+ 2 \mu A)^i \tau \left( \frac{\tau}{2} M_{tt}+ A \frac{h^2}{12} M_{xxxx}\right)= \frac{(2+ 2 \mu A)^n-1}{2 \mu A+1} \tau \left( \frac{\tau}{2} M_{tt}+ A \frac{h^2}{12} M_{xxxx}\right) $.But then we don't get the right constant of the inequality.
So do you think that my calculations are wrong? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello!

First of all, let me say that your calculations are correct. However, I believe there may be a slight misunderstanding in the way you are interpreting the inequality. Let me explain.

The inequality you have derived is of the form $E_n \leq C \tau$, where $C$ is a constant that depends on the problem parameters and $E_n$ is the error at time $t_n$. This means that as we take smaller and smaller time steps (i.e. as $\tau \rightarrow 0$), the error will also decrease and approach 0. In other words, the error is converging to 0 as we refine the time step.

Now, in order to obtain a bound on the error over the entire time interval $[0,T_f]$, we need to sum up the individual errors at each time step. This is where the constant $C$ comes into play. The constant $C$ tells us how fast the error is decreasing as we refine the time step. In other words, it tells us how many time steps we need to take in order to achieve a certain level of accuracy.

So, when you say that you "don't get the right constant of the inequality", what you are actually saying is that the constant is not as small as you would like it to be. This is not necessarily an issue with your calculations, but rather a limitation of the method itself. The explicit Euler method is known to have a relatively large error constant, and this is why it is not always the most accurate method for solving initial-boundary value problems.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a constant in science?

A constant in science is a variable that does not change in an experiment or study. It is used as a baseline or comparison to measure the effects of other variables.

2. How do scientists determine the right constant?

Scientists determine the right constant by carefully selecting a variable that is known to remain constant throughout the experiment. This can be achieved through previous research, observation, or control groups.

3. Why is it important to have the right constant in an experiment?

Having the right constant in an experiment is important because it allows scientists to accurately measure the effects of other variables. Without a constant, it would be difficult to determine the cause and effect relationship between variables.

4. How do we ensure that the constant remains constant throughout the experiment?

To ensure that the constant remains constant throughout the experiment, scientists must carefully control and monitor the conditions in which the experiment is conducted. This may include maintaining a specific temperature, pressure, or other environmental factors.

5. Can a constant ever change in an experiment?

In most cases, a constant should not change in an experiment. However, there are some instances where a constant may change due to unforeseen circumstances or external factors. In these cases, it is important for scientists to carefully document and analyze the changes to determine their impact on the experiment's results.