How do we know the speed of light exists ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence and measurement of the speed of light, comparing it to the concept of infinity and discussing its nature as a number or a concept. It is ultimately concluded that the speed of light is a large, finite quantity that can be measured experimentally and is different from the concept of infinity.
flyingpig
How do we know the speed of light "exists"?

If we "know" that it can't be reached, how do we know it exists? Like I am looking at this from a math view.

So okay, "infinity" is not a number, it is a concept. It took me about a year of convincing to settle it down.

So is the speed of light the same thing? Not a number, but a concept? How do know this certain number 3 * 10^8 is not possible? Because I am just loooking at this as a number and the book tells me this is impossible.

Science news on Phys.org

All light is electromagnetic radiation. It is derived by [tex]{1/\sqrt{\beta_0\epsilon_0}}[/tex] where [tex]{\beta_0}[/tex] is the magnetic permitivity in a vacuum and [tex]{\epsilon_0}[/tex] is the electrical permitivity in a vacuum. This is the direct cause of Maxwell's equations.

Is light like infinity? I don't have that much exposure to the concept of infinity, but I would have to say no. Light is more like a number, than a concept in my opinion.

Unlike infinity, the speed of light is large but finite and can be measured experimentally.

What do you mean how do we know the speed of light exists? We measure it. What exactly is the issue?

You're confusing massive and massless particles. Massless particles (photons) always travel at 'c' and we observe them always traveling at that speed. Massive particles never reach 'c' and we've never observed them reaching 'c'.

1. How was the speed of light first measured?

The first successful measurement of the speed of light was conducted by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in the late 17th century. He used observations of Jupiter's moon Io to calculate the time it took for light to travel from Jupiter to Earth, which he estimated to be about 220,000 kilometers per second.

2. How do we measure the speed of light today?

Today, the most common method for measuring the speed of light is using a laser and a high-precision clock. The laser is pointed at a rotating mirror, and the time it takes for the light to reflect back to the clock is measured. This method allows for a much more accurate measurement, with the currently accepted value for the speed of light being 299,792,458 meters per second.

3. How does the speed of light relate to other fundamental constants?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe, and it is related to other constants such as the permeability and permittivity of free space. It also plays a crucial role in Einstein's theory of relativity, which describes the relationship between space, time, and gravity.

4. Can the speed of light be exceeded?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. This means that it is impossible to exceed the speed of light in a vacuum. However, some theoretical models, such as wormholes, suggest that the speed of light may be exceeded within certain conditions.

5. How do we know that the speed of light is constant?

The speed of light has been measured and verified countless times using various methods and technologies. Additionally, the principle of the constancy of the speed of light is a fundamental postulate of Einstein's theory of relativity, which has been extensively tested and proven to accurately describe the behavior of the universe.