How Do You Calculate Maximum Bending Stress in a Beam with Limited Information?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 26K views
joemama69
Messages
390
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Note the attachment. I scanned it out of my book and I drew a FBD on it.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Ok so i haven't gotten very far at all with this one because it just doesn't seem to have enough information.

So first I summed the forces in the y direction.

Fy = 0 = 9k - RB... RB = 9k

Then I found the Moment @ B

MB = 9k(192) = 1728k

and that's about as far as I got. It seemed odd that there was no information given about the forces or distances at point A.

so I know that the Bending stress = -My/I

but how do I find the y. I am assuming it would come from k = 1/p but I do not know any of those quantities. Same with I = integral y2dA. Can I get a hint as to my next step
 

Attachments

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a force at A (and B), but the max bending moment at B (in inch-kips) is the same on either side of support B, so you don't need the force at A to calculate it. You should calculate the moment of Inertia , I, of the wide flanged beam, using the parallel axis theorem. Ignore the small fillets where the web connects to the flanges.
 
The beam is bending about the strong axis of the beam, not the weak axis, so you just need to use the I that applies, not both. You don't add the moments of inertias. Don't forget your units of I (in^4). I assume you understand the value to use for 'c' ?
 
Ok so i used the Iy because that is the direction of movment = 75 in^4

and c would just be half of the height because it is a symetric beam

S = I/c = 75in^4/11in = 6.81in^3

[tex]\sigma[/tex] = M/S = 1725kip*in/6.81in^3 = 254 kips/in^2

is this correct
 
ok I missunderstood

S = 1995/11 = 181.4 in^3

Stress max = M/S = 1728kips*in / 181.4 in^3 = 9.5 is kips/in^2 = psi