How do you calculate temp change when compressing water?

In summary, the pressure chamber I built was able to accurately measure pressure with a ± 1 psi accuracy. I found that small changes in ambient temperature ± 2 °F can result in a slow but profound change in the pressure in the system, say 25 psi. This pressure drop slowly tapers off over time, but if the pressure is then dropped to 200 psi and monitored, the pressure slowly rises consistently over time again slowly tapering off. These results lead me to believe that pressure induced temperature change is the cause of the slow leak detection.
Bombicis
I built a pressure chamber to test small parts for leaks at 1000 psi. I can measure the pressure with an accuracy of ± 1 psi. I found that small changes in ambient temperature ± 2 °F can result in a slow but profound change in the pressure in the system, say 25 psi.

Insulating the chamber helped a little, but I really need to control for the change in temperature associated with changing pressure.

As a side note, with the ambient temperature constant, running the system from 0 to 1000 psi over 2 minutes and then monitoring the pressure always results in a slow and relatively consistent pressure drop that slowly tapers off. If the pressure is then dropped over 2 minutes to 200 psi and then monitored, the pressure slowly rises consistently over time again slowly tapering off. These results lead me to conclude that pressure induced temperature change is the cause.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Bombi, :welcome:

According to the ideal gas law you have ##pV = nRT## (in decent units). So your 2 F can explain the 25 psi.
Assuming you have air in the chamber (or is it water :smile:, you don't say).
Not clear to me why you would need to control things: leaks are faults, isn't it ?
Or do you neeed leak reates at precisely 1000 psi ?

[edit] ah, wait, there's the thread title. Could you describe the setup a little better ?

Hey BvU,

Thanks for the reply!

The pressure chamber is filled with water, no air. I expect that any small bubbles left in cracks would dissolve into the water relatively in the early in the pressurization process.

The pressure vessel is 1/2" thick walled stainless steel and pressure is regulated via a piston. The total volume if the pressure vessel is about 3 liters and there is a reservoir on the side for filling and emptying the vessel.

Leaks are indeed faults, but they can occur very slowly so I need to detect the difference between a leak and temperature induced pressure fluctuations. Because this is a manufacturing environment, the quicker I can determine if a part leaks, the better. I have found that in certain cases, leaks can look similar to thermally induced pressure changes and then it can take an hour or more to tell the difference between the two.

My hope is that by monitoring both ambient and vessel temperature, I can more quickly determine the difference between a leak and thermally induced pressure change.

I looked at the compressibility of water (2.2.1 there) and found about 0.36% difference in density going from 1 atm to 70 atm at 20 C. The work done would increase the temperature, but we need an steam tables expert to estimate the temperature rise from that. @Chestermiller or @SteamKing ?

The relationship between volume, pressure, and temperature for water is$$\Delta \ln V=\alpha \Delta T-\beta\Delta P$$
where ##\alpha## is the coefficient of volumetric expansion (0.000214/C) and beta is the bulk compressibility (##4.6\times 10^{-10}/Pa##). You probably also need to include the changes in volume of the container as a function of temperature and pressure.

Thanks so so much both BvU and Chestermiller.

I have been wrestling with this for a while and now I think I can get my arms around the problem. I think I will need a more accurate pressure sensor as well as a very accurate thermal probe, but now I am ready to take a stab at predicting outcomes rather than finding an explanation for them.

1. How does compressing water affect its temperature?

When water is compressed, its temperature increases. This is because compressing water increases its internal energy, which is directly proportional to its temperature. As the molecules are pushed closer together, they collide more frequently and with higher energy, leading to an increase in temperature.

2. What is the equation for calculating temperature change during compression?

The equation for calculating temperature change during compression is ΔT = (P2-P1) * V / C, where ΔT is the change in temperature, P2 and P1 are the final and initial pressures, V is the change in volume, and C is the heat capacity of water.

3. How does the heat capacity of water affect temperature change during compression?

The heat capacity of water, which is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius, plays a crucial role in calculating temperature change during compression. The higher the heat capacity, the more energy is required to increase the temperature of water, resulting in a smaller change in temperature during compression.

4. Does the rate of compression affect the temperature change of water?

Yes, the rate of compression does affect the temperature change of water. When water is compressed quickly, the molecules do not have enough time to exchange heat with their surroundings, leading to a higher temperature increase. On the other hand, slow compression allows for more heat exchange, resulting in a lower temperature change.

5. Are there any other factors besides pressure and volume that affect temperature change during compression?

Yes, other factors that can affect temperature change during compression include the speed and direction of compression, the initial temperature of the water, and the presence of impurities or dissolved gases in the water.