How Do You Calculate Tension in a String Connecting Two Blocks on a Ramp?

  • Thread starter Thread starter shell4987
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Blocks Ramp
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
shell4987
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In Fig. 6-48, block 1 of mass 1.8 kg and block 2 of mass 2.9 kg are connected by a string of negligible mass and are initially held in place. Block 2 is on a frictionless surface tilted at = 38o. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block 1 and the horizontal surface is 0.20. The pulley has negligible mass and friction. Once they are released, the blocks move. What then is the tension in the string?
**image attached**

Homework Equations


For m1, fxnet=Uk(FN)-T=ma and fynet=FN-mg=0 and for m2, fxnet=T-mgsin(theta)=ma and fynet=FN-mgcos(theta)=0... I don't know if these are correct or not, that's what I got when I did the free body diagrams.


The Attempt at a Solution


I don't really know how to go about solving this problem... should I add any two equations together in order to get T?
 

Attachments

  • Fig06_48.gif
    Fig06_48.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
As a shortcut, use a tilted frame of reference for m2. Instead of x and y, consider the forces that are parallel and perpendicular to the surface. The force down the slope is a component of the gravitational force (on m2). The tension acts up the slope.

The net force on this system ends up being (the down-slope component of gravitational force on m2) - (frictional force on m1)