Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you calculate the energy required via torque when...

1. May 13, 2015 #1
    Let's say you have a lever arm connected to a load at the end. But the load is attached to a hinge, so no matter where the lever arm is, the load is always pointing down. I know that Energy = [integral] tau d_phi, but does that only work if the angle b/w arm and load is constant?

What if the angle between the arm and the load, theta, is changing throughout the rotation, phi?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2
    If the angle θ is not constant. We can just take the integral ∫τ·dφ, τ = Frsinθ, with F and θ in terms of φ. If both F and θ are constant than we do not need an integral. I think you might have some misunderstanding about the concept of integral. Also, what do you mean by "load"?

4. May 13, 2015 #3
    The "load" is just my way of saying the force. I understand the integral, I just wasn't sure if it was as easy as dropping in the FrSin[x] into the integral, but I guess it is. Thank you.

5. May 13, 2015 #4
    Another Suggestion. If you do not know Latex, you can search for an online math input platform to enter mathematical expressions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook