How Do I Calculate Torque for a Rotating Platform with a Stepper Motor?

• Thread starter Art124
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, The conversation discusses the need for a rotating platform in a project and the use of a stepper motor to achieve this. The individual is unsure of how to calculate the torque required to move the load and presents their calculations and concerns. Another person provides assistance by suggesting a website for motor sizing calculations.
Art124
Hello

I'm working on a project which requires a rotating platform.

I'm planning on turning the platform using a stepper motor,
however I'm sure how to calculate the torque required to move
the load.

Here is what I have:
the moment of inertial for the load and platform is: 2700 oz in2
the platform must turn 30 degrees in 2 seconds ( have a angular velocity of 0.2618 rad/s)
the motor is directly attached to the platform (no pulleys or gears)

I tried calculating the torque using the method in the pictures.

The torque I got seems too large to move a load which weights 5 lb. Perhaps I should have used the step angle, or maybe the formula I used does not apply to this problem.

Could someone help I would very much appropriate it. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Motor Calc_Page_10.jpg
    Motor Calc_Page_10.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 608
  • Motor Calc_Page_11.jpg
    Motor Calc_Page_11.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 554
  • Motor Calc_Page_12.jpg
    Motor Calc_Page_12.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 719
Physics news on Phys.org
Well what you have is roughly 15 foot-pounds of torque, which I believe most electrical motors should be easily capable of.

Related to How Do I Calculate Torque for a Rotating Platform with a Stepper Motor?

What is torque and why is it important in calculations?

Torque is the measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is important in calculations because it helps determine the amount of force needed to rotate or move an object.

What are the factors that affect the required torque for a given task?

The required torque for a given task can be affected by several factors such as the mass of the object, the distance from the center of rotation, the speed of rotation, and the friction between the object and its surroundings.

How do I calculate the required torque for a specific task?

To calculate the required torque, you need to know the mass of the object, the distance from the center of rotation, and the coefficient of friction. You can then use the formula: torque = force x distance, where force is the product of mass and acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²) and distance is the distance from the center of rotation.

What are some common units of measurement for torque?

The most common units of measurement for torque are Newton-meters (Nm) and pound-feet (lb-ft). However, other units such as kilogram-force meters (kgf-m) and inch-pounds (in-lb) may also be used.

What are some practical applications of calculating required torque?

Calculating required torque is important in many practical applications, such as in designing machinery, building structures, and performing mechanical tasks. It is also essential in fields such as engineering, physics, and automotive mechanics.