How Do You Calculate the Gravitational Acceleration of a Satellite in Orbit?

It is the equation for calculating the magnitude of acceleration due to gravity at a distance from the center of mass. By plugging in the given values, we can calculate the acceleration at a distance of 3.59 x 10^7m from Earth's center of mass. In summary, using the equation g = GM/r^2, we can calculate the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity at a distance of 3.59 x 10^7m from the center of Earth's mass.
Meroko

Homework Statement

Synchronous communications satellites are placed in a circular orbit that is 3.59 X 10^7m above the surface of the earth. What is the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity at this distance?

Homework Equations

F=G M1M2 / R^2/ mp
g= GMe / r^2
r= Re + H
w=mg
g=w/m

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to put the numbers in the "g= GMe / r^2" equation, which turns out to be
g= 6.673 X 10^-11 X 5.9742 X 10^24 /( 3.59 X 10^7)^2

But the answer that I got is wrong. Can someone please help me fix my mistakes and help me get the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the third equation in your list of relevant equations.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Gravitational Acceleration of a Satellite in Orbit?

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards one another. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and for keeping the moon in orbit around the Earth.

2. How is gravitational force calculated?

The force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the mass of each object and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This can be calculated using the equation F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in terms of gravitational force?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass does not change, but weight can vary depending on the strength of gravitational force at a particular location.

4. How does distance affect gravitational force?

As the distance between two objects increases, the force of gravity between them decreases. This is because the farther apart the objects are, the weaker the gravitational pull between them becomes.

5. Can gravitational force be canceled or stopped?

No, gravitational force is a fundamental force of nature and cannot be canceled or stopped. However, its effects can be counteracted by other forces, such as the centrifugal force of a spinning object or the force of air resistance on a falling object.