How Do You Calculate the Horizontal Component and Flight Time of a Baseball?

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario in which a second baseman throws a ball to the first baseman at an initial speed of 21.0 m/s and an angle of 35.0° above the horizontal. The question then asks for the horizontal component of the ball's velocity just before it is caught and the duration of the ball's flight. The concept of projectile motion is suggested to understand the forces and path of the ball.
XPX1
A second baseman tosses the ball to the first baseman, who catches it at the same level from which it was thrown. The throw is made with an initial speed of 21.0 m/s at an angle of 35.0° above the horizontal. (Neglect air resistance.)
(a) What is the horizontal component of the ball's velocity just before it is caught?
m/s
(b) How long is the ball in the air?
s

I am completely lost how to start this problem, I do not even know what a horizontal component is! Any help is appreciated. Can someone please tell me how to start this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall what you have learned about vectors. Motion in two dimensions has two components. I suggest drawing a picture of the motion of the ball; it may help you see the relationship between the forces acting on it and its path through space.

You can use the search button with the words 'projectile motion', and you'll find lots of useful threads.

Im still so confused!

Can someone please give me an example? Searching for projectile motion hasnt helped very much at all

Bumped

Bumped for knowledge!

What is "Homework Baseball"?

"Homework Baseball" is a term used to describe a study method in which students assign point values to different homework assignments, similar to runs in a baseball game.

How does "Homework Baseball" work?

In "Homework Baseball", students assign point values to their homework assignments based on difficulty or length. As they complete each assignment, they earn points, similar to how a baseball team earns runs. The goal is to accumulate a certain number of points, just like a baseball team aims to score a certain number of runs.

What are the benefits of using "Homework Baseball" as a study method?

"Homework Baseball" can help students stay motivated and organized while completing their homework. It also encourages students to prioritize their assignments based on point values, which can improve time management skills. Additionally, it can make studying more fun and engaging for students.

Is "Homework Baseball" suitable for all subjects?

While "Homework Baseball" can be applied to most subjects, it may work better for some subjects than others. For example, it may be more difficult to assign point values to subjective assignments, such as essays or creative projects. However, for more objective subjects like math or science, "Homework Baseball" can be a useful study method.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using "Homework Baseball"?

One potential drawback of "Homework Baseball" is that it may oversimplify the importance of certain assignments. Just because an assignment has a lower point value does not necessarily mean it is less important or less challenging. Additionally, it may not work for all students and could potentially add unnecessary pressure to complete assignments for some individuals.