How do you calculate the mass flow rate, volume flow rate and velocity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
qablos
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
How do you calculate the mass flow rate, volume flow rate and velocity of a 6 bar compressed air supply through a 2mm tube? This is all the information I have been given. Is there any theory that could help me here? I can't seem to find much on the internet, so I have no clue where to begin, sorry.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a problem for fluid mechanics, specifically gas dynamics. However, the information you have given is insufficient to solve your problem as stated.
 
If this is all data you have been given, you are expected to make several simplifications.

1.) Velocity equals mach 1 at given condition (if temperature is not given i'd take 288.15 K as this is standard at 0m ISA conditions)

2.) There is no pressure drop (as you cannot calculate it due to lack of data on tubes length and roughness)

So: volume_flow=speed_of_sound*(2*pi*(tube_radius˄2))
mass_flow= volume_flow*air_density