How Do You Calculate the Movement of a Hydraulic Lift's Input Cylinder?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
arpitm08
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Fluid pressure problem? please help!

Homework Statement


The input cylinder of a hydraulic lift has a diameter of 8.00 cm, and a bronze lion sits on a cylinder with 198.0 cm diameter. If the lion has a mass of 1395 kg, how far down does the input cylinder have to go to lift the lion 0.500 meter?


Homework Equations



p1 + 0.5 p (v1)^2 + pg(h1) = p2 + 0.5 p (v2)^2 + pg(h2)
F1/A1 = F2/A2


The Attempt at a Solution



This is fluids at rest, so the velocity doesn't come into hand. It doesn't provide p. h1 is 0.5m. What do p1 and p2 equal. They also don't give the force applied on the input cylinder. I don't know how to do this. I don't want the answer. I just want to know how to get there. I'd rather understand the concept behind it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org