How Do You Calculate the Surface Integral of a Cylinder?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
hhhmortal
Messages
175
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




I’m trying to integrate the surface of a cylinder.
I know when integrating the surface of a cylinder the surface element is:
ρdØdz

Where ρ² + z² = r²


And for a sphere it is:
r²sinθdθdØ


In a sphere r=ρ

But in a cylinder when I’m integrating its surface, could it be written as:



(r² - z² )½ . dθ.dz

For example ∫∫zdS over a cylinder from 0<z<5 and 0<Ø<2π

Would it be:

∫∫z. (r² - z² )½ . dθ.dz ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be confusing "[itex]\rho[/itex]" and "r". In spherical coordinates, [itex]\rho[/itex] is the straight line distance from the origin to a point. In cylindrical coordinates, "r" is the same as in polar coordinates- the straight line distance from the origin to a point in the xy-plane. In three dimensional cylindrical coordinates r is the distance from the origin to t he point (x,y,0) directly "below" the point (x,y,z). The "differential of area", on the surface of a sphere of (fixed) radius r, is [itex]r d\theta dz[/itex] where r is a constant. I can see no reason to introduce "[itex](\rho^2- z^2)^{1/2}[/itex]".
 
Last edited by a moderator: