MCNP6.2 - SDEF on a RCC surface

In summary, the speaker is trying to set up a surface neutron source on the surface of a cylinder defined as a macrobody, but they are encountering a fatal error when trying to define the surface. The simulation works when using a spherical surface instead. They are seeking help in understanding the issue and if it is possible to define a surface source on a cylindrical surface.
19matthew89
TL;DR Summary
Error for SDEF source on RCC surface
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up a surface neutron source on the surface of a cylinder defined as a macrobody (RCC) and used also to define cell of the system. My aim is setting up a surface source where I'd like to give a specific spectrum (and DIR) at each surface defining the cylinder.

But, before getting so far, I simply tried to set up a monoenergetic source on the surface of the macrobody (see attachment). Unfortunately, the code gives me this fatal error: "fatal error sdef surface not valid surface" and I don't manage to understand why. In fact, the simulation runs smoothly if I simply replace the cylinder surface with a spherical surface. Aren't you allowed to define a surface source on a cylindrical surface? can you spot what the issue could be?Thanks in advance

Attachments

• sphere_cyl_source_example.txt
    3.2 KB · Views: 85
Engineering news on Phys.org
for your help!

Hi there,

It is possible to define a surface source on a cylindrical surface in MCNP6.2. The error you are receiving may be due to an incorrect definition of the surface or a problem with your input file. I suggest double-checking your input file and making sure the surface is correctly defined as an RCC macrobody. You may also want to try running a simple test case with a monoenergetic source on a cylindrical surface to see if the issue persists.

If the problem persists, you can also try reaching out to the MCNP6.2 user community for assistance or contacting the developers for further support. They may be able to provide more specific guidance on troubleshooting this issue.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your simulation!

1. What is MCNP6.2?

MCNP6.2 is a computer code used for simulating and analyzing nuclear and radiation processes. It is commonly used in the fields of nuclear engineering, medical physics, and radiation protection.

2. What does SDEF stand for in MCNP6.2?

SDEF stands for "surface definition" in MCNP6.2. It is used to define the geometry and material properties of surfaces in the simulation.

3. How does MCNP6.2 handle radiation transport on a RCC surface?

MCNP6.2 uses the SDEF feature to define the RCC surface and its material properties. The code then uses the Monte Carlo method to simulate the transport of radiation particles on the surface, taking into account the surface's geometry and material composition.

4. What are the advantages of using MCNP6.2 for simulating radiation on a RCC surface?

MCNP6.2 allows for accurate and detailed simulations of radiation transport on a RCC surface. It takes into account factors such as surface geometry, material composition, and particle interactions, providing a comprehensive analysis of the radiation behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to using MCNP6.2 for SDEF on a RCC surface?

One limitation of using MCNP6.2 for SDEF on a RCC surface is that it requires a significant amount of computational resources and time to run simulations. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the input parameters and assumptions made in the simulation.