How Do You Calculate Total Resistance in a Diagonal Battery and Resistor Setup?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
dukeedee
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I tried finding this same problem somewhere in the forums here but I couldn't find a similar one, its getting the best of me! I have a problem with a square and a line going diagonal from corner to corner, with a 1.5v battery on the diagonal and on the top side a 4ohm resistor and 6ohm resistor on the other side. So the battery intersects the corner with a resistor on either side of the corner. Would it just be two in parallel so (1/4 + 1/6)^-1 = 2.4ohms? I cannot figure it out, help please!
 
Attachments
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
A lead can be as sort as you like. Both terminals of those resistors are connected through the wires, and the shape and length of the wires does not matter. You are right, the resistors are in parallel, and the resultant is 2.4 ohms.

ehild
 
if you get confused by seeing the shapes, don't worry. try drawing an equivalent circuit, keeping the terminals same, using straight wires. you will see easily that its a parallel connection.
 
Ah, i see. That's whatwas holding me up. Thanks guys!