How Do You Calculate Total Resistance in a Diagonal Battery and Resistor Setup?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the equivalent resistance of a circuit with a battery, two resistors, and diagonal wires. The solution is found to be 2.4 ohms with the resistors in parallel. The shape and length of the wires do not affect the result. Drawing an equivalent circuit with straight wires can help with understanding the problem.
dukeedee
I tried finding this same problem somewhere in the forums here but I couldn't find a similar one, its getting the best of me! I have a problem with a square and a line going diagonal from corner to corner, with a 1.5v battery on the diagonal and on the top side a 4ohm resistor and 6ohm resistor on the other side. So the battery intersects the corner with a resistor on either side of the corner. Would it just be two in parallel so (1/4 + 1/6)^-1 = 2.4ohms? I cannot figure it out, help please!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 393
Physics news on Phys.org
A lead can be as sort as you like. Both terminals of those resistors are connected through the wires, and the shape and length of the wires does not matter. You are right, the resistors are in parallel, and the resultant is 2.4 ohms.

ehild

if you get confused by seeing the shapes, don't worry. try drawing an equivalent circuit, keeping the terminals same, using straight wires. you will see easily that its a parallel connection.

Ah, i see. That's whatwas holding me up. Thanks guys!

I would approach this problem by first identifying the components involved and their properties. From the description, it seems that we have a square with a 1.5v battery placed diagonally, and two resistors (4ohm and 6ohm) on the top side of the square.

To solve this problem, we can use Ohm's Law, which states that the current (I) flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage (V) and inversely proportional to the resistance (R). This can be expressed as I = V/R.

In this case, we can see that the current will split into two paths at the corner where the battery intersects with the resistors. This is known as a parallel circuit.

To calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit, we use the formula:

1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...

Where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit.

Thus, for the given problem, we can calculate the total resistance as:

1/Rt = 1/4 + 1/6

1/Rt = 5/12

Rt = 12/5 = 2.4ohms

Therefore, the total resistance in this circuit is 2.4ohms, as you correctly calculated.

I would also like to mention that it is always important to double-check our calculations and make sure that they make sense in the context of the problem. In this case, our calculated resistance should be lower than both the individual resistances (4ohms and 6ohms), which it is, indicating that our solution is correct.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the problem better. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Related to How Do You Calculate Total Resistance in a Diagonal Battery and Resistor Setup?

What is the Total Resistance Problem?

The Total Resistance Problem, also known as the parallel circuit problem, is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the total resistance of a circuit with multiple resistors connected in parallel.

How do you calculate total resistance in a parallel circuit?

To calculate total resistance in a parallel circuit, you can use the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances of each resistor in the circuit. Alternatively, you can use the shortcut formula Rt = (R1 x R2 x R3 x ...)/(R1 + R2 + R3 + ...).

What is the difference between total resistance and equivalent resistance?

Total resistance refers to the overall resistance of a circuit, while equivalent resistance refers to the single resistor that would have the same effect on the circuit as all of the resistors combined. In a parallel circuit, the equivalent resistance is always less than the total resistance.

Why is the total resistance of a parallel circuit less than the smallest individual resistance?

In a parallel circuit, the current has multiple paths to flow through, so the total resistance is reduced. This is because the total resistance is inversely proportional to the number of resistors connected in parallel, and as the number of resistors increases, the total resistance decreases.

What are some real-life applications of the Total Resistance Problem?

The Total Resistance Problem has many practical applications, such as in electrical engineering, circuit design, and electronic devices. It is also relevant in everyday situations, such as calculating the total resistance of a string of Christmas lights or a household electrical circuit.