How do you check if 2 vectors are orthogonal?

In summary, To check if 2 vectors are orthogonal, their dot product should equal 0. However, even if their dot product is 0, it does not necessarily mean they are orthogonal, as in the case of two zero vectors. The angle between two orthogonal vectors is 90 degrees. To determine the length of the projection of one vector onto another, one method is to find the dot product and divide by the magnitude squared, then multiply by the vector. Another method is to use the equation (u-w).v = 0 and solve for the scalar λ.
charlies1902

I know that if 2 vectors are orthogonal, then there dot product is 0. But I don't think that necessarily means if their dot product is 0, the 2 vectors are orthogonal. Like what if you had 2 zero vectors, their dot produt would be 0, but they're not orthogonal.

I also know that the angle between the 2 vectors is 90 degrees. I think this one that 2 vectors that are 90 degrees apart are orthogonal. Right?

Physics news on Phys.org
charlies1902 said:

I know that if 2 vectors are orthogonal, then there dot product is 0. But I don't think that necessarily means if their dot product is 0, the 2 vectors are orthogonal. Like what if you had 2 zero vectors, their dot produt would be 0, but they're not orthogonal.
Sure they are. The zero vector is considered to be orthogonal to every other vector, including another zero vector.
charlies1902 said:
I also know that the angle between the 2 vectors is 90 degrees. I think this one that 2 vectors that are 90 degrees apart are orthogonal. Right?
Right.

Okay thank you.

Also if we have 2 vectors u and v, and vector w is the projection of u onto v.
How is the length of w determined?

charlies1902 said:
Also if we have 2 vectors u and v, and vector w is the projection of u onto v.
How is the length of w determined?
It depends on the projection. If you mean an orthogonal projection (i.e. orthogonal to v) then it will satisfy (u-w).v = 0

Uh, for this problem I'm doing the instructions are "The vector w is called the orthogonal projection of u
onto v. Sketch the three vectors u, v, and w."

I attached my work.
Vector u is given to be [-2 3]
v is given to be [4 0]

I calculated the orthogonal projection of u onto v
by 1st finding the dot product of u and v.
Then dividing that by the magnitude of vector v squared.
Then multipling that by vector v.
This gave:
w=[-2 0]

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    674 bytes · Views: 498
charlies1902 said:
Uh, for this problem I'm doing the instructions are "The vector w is called the orthogonal projection of u
onto v. Sketch the three vectors u, v, and w."

I attached my work.
Vector u is given to be [-2 3]
v is given to be [4 0]

I calculated the orthogonal projection of u onto v
by 1st finding the dot product of u and v.
Then dividing that by the magnitude of vector v squared.
Then multipling that by vector v.
This gave:
w=[-2 0]
Looks like a valid method and the right answer. And it does satisfy (u-w).v = 0.

haruspex said:
Looks like a valid method and the right answer. And it does satisfy (u-w).v = 0.

I think for this one you can find out by inspection since vector v is on the x axis. I just saw that the projection equation I used is introduced in a later section, so I probably should have used another method.
What other method is there if this were not an obvious case where v is not on the x axis? As in how do you find the length of vector w.

charlies1902 said:
I think for this one you can find out by inspection since vector v is on the x axis. I just saw that the projection equation I used is introduced in a later section, so I probably should have used another method.
What other method is there if this were not an obvious case where v is not on the x axis? As in how do you find the length of vector w.
I don't see an easier way than deriving that equation.
It's clear that w = λv for some scalar λ. And orthogonality gives (u-w).v = 0, right?
Substitute for w and determine λ.

1. How do you define orthogonality for vectors?

Orthogonality for vectors is defined as the property of being perpendicular to each other, meaning that their dot product is equal to 0.

2. What is the mathematical formula for checking orthogonality between 2 vectors?

The mathematical formula for checking orthogonality between 2 vectors is to take the dot product of the two vectors and see if it equals to 0.

3. Can you explain the concept of dot product in relation to orthogonality?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that calculates the sum of the products of corresponding components in two vectors. In the context of orthogonality, the dot product is used to determine if two vectors are perpendicular to each other, which is a defining characteristic of orthogonality.

4. How do you check if two vectors are orthogonal using their components?

To check if two vectors are orthogonal using their components, you can use the dot product formula and plug in the components of the two vectors. If the result is 0, then the vectors are orthogonal.

5. Are there any real-life applications of checking orthogonality between vectors?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of checking orthogonality between vectors. For example, in physics, orthogonality between forces is necessary for calculating the net force on an object. In computer graphics, orthogonality is used to determine the direction of light rays and in machine learning, it is used in feature selection and dimensionality reduction techniques.