How Do You Correctly Expand Trigonometric Equations Involving Sine and ArcTan?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ultrabionic_ang
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Expanding
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
ultrabionic_ang
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
hello.. I've been having some trouble with expanding this:

(B^2+C^2)^(1/2) X sin (omega*t +(taninverse B/C)

(read as: square root of (b squared plus c squared) times sin times the quantity omega times t plus taninverse of B divided by C)

apparently, the answer is supposed to be B cos omega*t + C sin omega*t .. but I've gotten like B arctan omega^2(t) + C cos omega*t... i just wanted to know like the way to get the answer.. i think I'm using trig identities incorrectly..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What you need is [itex]\sin (x + y) = \sin x \cos y + \cos x \sin y[/itex] and use the fact that [itex]\sin \tan^{-1} x = x/ \sqrt {1 + x^2}[/itex] and similarly for the cosine.