How Do You Derive the Lagrangian for a Pendulum on an Oscillating Cart?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
noranne
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A simple pendulum (mass M and length L) is suspended from a cart (mass m) that can oscillate on the end of a spring of force constant k. Write the Lagrangian in terms of the two generalized coordinates x and [tex]\phi[/tex], where x is the extension of the spring from its equilibrium length. Find the two Lagrange equations.



Homework Equations



L = T - U

[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial x} - \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}}) = 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi} - \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\phi}}) = 0[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution



So far I'm thinking [tex]T = \frac{1}{2}M\dot{x}^2 + \frac{1}{2}M(L\dot{\phi} + \dot{x})[/tex] and [tex]U = \frac{1}{2}kx^2 + -Lcos(\phi)Mg[/tex]

I feel like that's wrong, like the potential energy of the pendulum might not just depend on its height below the track. And the kinetic energy might be wrong. Really, this problem is totally throwing me for a loop, after I was feeling pretty confident about Lagrangian mechanics for about 4 problems. Any help??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
noranne said:
So far I'm thinking [tex]T =+ \frac{1}{2}M(L\dot{\phi})^21 + \dot{x})[/tex]

This should be [tex]T =+ \frac{1}{2}M(L\dot{\phi})^2[/tex]
The rest looks OK.
 
That's not right either.

In the frame attached to the cart, the kinetic term is:
[tex]T'=M/2(\dot{x'}^2 + \dot{y'}^2)[/tex]

where [itex]\dot{x'}=L\dot{\phi}cos \phi[/itex]. In the lab frame, this becomes:

[tex]T=M/2((\dot{x'}+\dot{x})^2 + \dot{y'}^2)[/tex]