How Do You Determine if Two Values Agree?

• Thread starter GrahamCU
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about finding the agreement between two values using the comparison test. The formula for the "ratio" was provided as R=(x1-x2)/root(sigmax1^2 + sigmax2^2), with the values being considered to agree if R<2 and disagree if R>2. The conversation also included a warm welcome to the person posting and some helpful symbols.
GrahamCU
SOLVED:Agreement of 2 values

This is my first post, so I hope this is the write section for it..

How do you check if 2 values agree with each other (I've seen it called the "comparison test", but I can't find what I'm looking for by google-ing that).

For example, you have

x1=563+-12
x2=545+-38

And you have to find the "ratio". The values are said to agree if R<2 and disagree if R>2

Thanks,
Graham

EDIT: found the answer

R=(x1-x2)/root(sigmax1^2 + sigmax2^2)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Graham!

Glad you sorted it out! :smile:

Anyway, welcome to PF

and here's a square-root: √ and a plus-or-minus: ± and a sigma: σ for you. :wink:

I would approach this question by first defining what is meant by "agreement" between two values. In this case, it seems that the ratio of the difference between the two values to the uncertainty (expressed as the square root of the sum of the individual uncertainties squared) should be less than 2 for the values to be considered in agreement. This makes sense, as a difference within the range of uncertainty can be considered acceptable.

To check if two values agree, we can calculate the ratio R using the formula provided in the edited post. If R is less than 2, then the values are in agreement. If R is greater than 2, then they are considered to disagree.

It is important to note that this approach assumes that the uncertainties are normally distributed, and that the values being compared are independent of each other. If these assumptions do not hold, alternative methods may need to be used to determine agreement between the values.

In addition, it is always good practice to include the uncertainties in any reported values to accurately convey the level of agreement between measurements.

Related to How Do You Determine if Two Values Agree?

1. What is the purpose of an agreement of 2 values?

The purpose of an agreement of 2 values is to determine whether two sets of data or measurements are similar or different. This helps scientists to validate their findings and draw accurate conclusions.

2. How is an agreement of 2 values calculated?

An agreement of 2 values is calculated by finding the percentage of agreement between two sets of data. This is done by dividing the number of agreements by the total number of comparisons and multiplying by 100.

3. Can an agreement of 2 values be used to compare more than two sets of data?

Yes, an agreement of 2 values can be used to compare multiple sets of data. It can be used to compare two sets of data at a time, or to compare one set of data to multiple other sets.

4. What is a good agreement of 2 values score?

A good agreement of 2 values score varies depending on the field of study and the specific research question. Generally, a score above 80% is considered to be a strong agreement, while a score below 50% indicates poor agreement.

5. Are there any limitations to using an agreement of 2 values?

While an agreement of 2 values is a useful tool for comparing data, it does have limitations. It does not take into account the magnitude of differences between the two sets of data, and it can be affected by small sample sizes or outliers in the data.