How do you find the basis for the spanning set which contains matrices?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the largest independent set as a basis for a vector space. The condition for dependence is that one of the coefficients is non-zero. If there is a solution where one coefficient is non-zero, that matrix can be dropped from the set.
Physics news on Phys.org
Given a set of vectors that spans a vector space, the largest subset that contains only independent vectors is a basis. The condition for dependence is that
[tex]a_1v_1+ a_2v_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nv_n= 0[/tex]
with at least on of the scalars non-zero. If it is, say [\itex]a_i\ne 0[/itex], we can solve for the vector [itex]v_i[/itex] as a function of the others and so can drop it from the set.

Here, that equation is
[tex]a_1\begin{bmatrix}0& 3\\ 1 & 1\end{bmatrix}+ a_2\begin{bmatrix}4 & 5 \\ 3 & 1 \end{bmatrix}+ a_3\begin{bmatrix}-4 & 1 \\ -1 & 1\end{bmatrix}+ a_4\begin{bmatrix}2 & 1 \\ 1 & 2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]= \begin{bmatrix}4a_2- 4a_3+ 2a_4 & 3a_1+ 5a_2+ a_3+ a_4 \\ a_1+ 3a_2- a_3+ a_4 & a_1+ a_2+ a_3+ 2a_4\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
which is the same as the four equations
[tex]4a_2- 4a_3+ 2a_4= 0[/itex]
[tex]3a_1+ 5a_2+ a_3+ a_4= 0[/tex]
[tex]a_1+ 3a_2- a_3+ a_4= 0[/tex]
[tex]a_1+ a_2+ a_3+ 2a_4= 0[/tex]

An obvious solution is [itex]a_1= a_2= a_3= a_4= 0[/itex]. If that is the only solution, the four matrices are independent and so are a basis for there span. If there is a solution in which one of the coefficients is non-zero, we can solve for that matrix in terms of the other three and so drop it from the set.

@HallsofIvy: I suspect that lawnmowjob asked this as a homework problem, then either figured it out or got help from somewhere else. Given the shortness of his original post, I doubt that he'll be back. It happens too often in these forums, and makes me reluctant to write out more explicit and helpful discussions like yours.

Anyway, I hid the answer in the middle full stop of my answer.

Cute! I'll have to remember that!

sad, but true. many people just want "the answer", and have little interest in gaining the knowledge.

What is a spanning set?

A spanning set is a set of vectors that can be combined to create any vector in a given vector space. In the context of matrices, a spanning set contains matrices that can be used to create any desired matrix through linear combinations.

Why is finding the basis for a spanning set important?

Finding the basis for a spanning set is important because it allows us to represent any matrix in a simplified and concise form. It also helps us understand the structure and properties of a given set of matrices.

How do you determine if a set of matrices is a spanning set?

To determine if a set of matrices is a spanning set, we must check if every matrix in the set can be written as a linear combination of the other matrices in the set. If so, then the set is a spanning set.

What is the process for finding the basis for a spanning set of matrices?

To find the basis for a spanning set of matrices, we must first determine if the set is linearly independent. If not, we can use row reduction to eliminate any redundant matrices. Then, the remaining matrices form the basis for the spanning set.

Can a set of matrices have more than one basis for its spanning set?

Yes, a set of matrices can have multiple bases for its spanning set. This is because there can be different combinations of matrices that can create the same matrix through linear combinations.