How do you find the number of electrons given a mass fo the object?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bwilli
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electrons Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 10K views
Bwilli
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



(a) Calculate the number of electrons in a small, electrically neutral silver pin that has a mass of 13.0 g. Silver has 47 electrons per atom, and its molar mass is 107.87 g/mole.


Homework Equations


N/A


The Attempt at a Solution



I thought to try using the molar mass given and dividing it by mass of the pin.
107.87g/mole / 13 g = 8.298 1/mole

After this point I didn't know what to do next
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you were trying to find the number of moles of silver in the pin, but you would up with a unit of 1/moles in your calculation.

What does this tell you about how to do the calculation correctly?
 
Thanks a lot! I used avogadro's number.

(13g)/(107.87g/mole)*(6.022E23atoms/mole)*(47electrons) = 3.41E24 electrons in the silver pin