How do you integrate (a^x + b^x)^3 /((a^x)*(b^x))

• Thread starter The_ArtofScience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, integrating the expression (a^x + b^x)^3 /((a^x)*(b^x)) can be done by expanding it and then using the logarithmic method or the chain rule to simplify the expression.
The_ArtofScience

Homework Statement

Integrate (a^x + b^x)^3 /((a^x)*(b^x))

The Attempt at a Solution

I have only 2 semesters of calculus under my belt yet nothing in my experience has taught me to do anything like this

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi The_ArtofScience! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
The_ArtofScience said:
Integrate (a^x + b^x)^3 /((a^x)*(b^x))

erm :redface: … just expand it …

(a2/b)x + … :smile:

The algebra that I did from expanding it like you suggested was:

(a^3x + 3a^2x b^x + 3a^x b^2x + b^3x)/(a^x b^x)
= (a^2 /b)^x + 3a^x + 3b^x + (b^2/a)^x

But then what do I do with this strange exponent? I don't know how to integrate an expression like b^x

You can find it easily enough by a search but you can derive it pretty easily too.

[tex]\log_b(b^x) = x[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\log_b(b^x) = 1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\log_b(b^x) = \frac{d}{du} \log_b(u) \cdot \frac{d b^x}{dx}[/tex] where [tex]u = b^x[/tex].

Convert [tex]log_b(u) = \frac{\ln(u)}{\ln(b)}[/tex] and go from there.

The_ArtofScience said:
But then what do I do with this strange exponent? I don't know how to integrate an expression like b^x

(please use the X2 tag just above the Reply box … it's much easier to read)

Yes, use Born2bwire's :smile: method,

or write bx = (eln(b))x = eln(b)x,

so (bx)' = ln(b)bx :wink:

Oh sure, do it the easy and efficient way. ;)

Hi I just read the messages and I appreciate both of your help. Thanks! I get it now. It was silly for me not to see it before I asked

What is the formula for integrating (a^x + b^x)^3 /((a^x)*(b^x))?

The formula for integrating (a^x + b^x)^3 /((a^x)*(b^x)) is ∫(a^x + b^x)^3 /((a^x)*(b^x)) dx.

What is the process for integrating (a^x + b^x)^3 /((a^x)*(b^x))?

The process for integrating (a^x + b^x)^3 /((a^x)*(b^x)) involves using the substitution method or the logarithmic differentiation method.

How do you choose a substitution for integrating (a^x + b^x)^3 /((a^x)*(b^x))?

When choosing a substitution for integrating (a^x + b^x)^3 /((a^x)*(b^x)), it is important to choose a variable that will simplify the integrand and make it easier to integrate. Common choices include u = a^x or u = b^x.

Can the logarithmic differentiation method be used to integrate (a^x + b^x)^3 /((a^x)*(b^x))?

Yes, the logarithmic differentiation method can be used to integrate (a^x + b^x)^3 /((a^x)*(b^x)). This method involves taking the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation and using the product and chain rules to simplify the integrand.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when integrating (a^x + b^x)^3 /((a^x)*(b^x))?

Some common mistakes to avoid when integrating (a^x + b^x)^3 /((a^x)*(b^x)) include forgetting to apply the chain rule, not simplifying the integrand before integrating, and making a mistake in the substitution chosen.