How do you make Zener diode connections for different types of diodes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gracy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Diode
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
41 replies · 7K views
But my question is still alive.

in video,negative terminal of diode is connected with negative of battery and positive terminal of diode is connected with negative terminal of Milliammeter.Just look at the video at time 2:40.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have caught my mistake .Positive terminal of diode is connected with positive of battery in forward bias that doesn't mean it (Positive terminal of diode)should be directly/immediately connected with it(positive of battery).Even though positive terminal of diode is connected with negative terminal of Milliammeter, if we follow this it is eventually connected with positive terminal of battery.Right?
 
Last edited:
gracy said:
But my question is still alive.
gracy said:
In forward bias why positive of battery is not connected with positive of diode?
Okay. Just went back to a couple handbooks to sort my brains out --- there is no fixed polarity convention to terminals of diodes. Each terminal can be, and is, described as having either polarity. Bottom line here is that the video should have been using some other color terminals for connecting the diodes (white at either end to indicate the ambiguity of their use of positive and negative terminals when describing the diode connections).

A diode will pass current only one direction. That direction is indicated by the arrow, and you can think of positive charge passing in that same direction, or electrons moving the opposite direction. Hooking a positive source to the pointed end of the arrow is the same as an open circuit, no current flows. Hooking a positive source to the blunt end of the arrow and completing the circuit with some other components (plain wire, meters, resistors, whatever) allows current to flow.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gracy
It works. My suggestion for the long run is to remember the "arrow is direction of current."
 
Bystander said:
My suggestion for the long run is to remember the "arrow is direction of current."
I will remember this.But for doing connections in my practical exam I was trying to understand about " +ive and - I've terminals."
 
I got the concept now.Oh my god,I took so much time to understand this.Would you still like to say " I am a very quick "study," (good student) as far as picking up ideas.
 
The way people shuffle polarities back and forth with "forward and reverse" biasing? I've been playing with this stuff for fifty years and I still have to stop and think about it in some contexts.
 
gracy said:
I think I have caught my mistake .Positive terminal of diode is connected with positive of battery in forward bias that doesn't mean it (Positive terminal of diode)should be directly/immediately connected with it(positive of battery).Even though positive terminal of diode is connected with negative terminal of Milliammeter, if we follow this it is eventually connected with positive terminal of battery.Right?
That's a good way to think of it, yes.

Exmple: The positive probe of a voltmeter connects to the most positive of the two points between which you wish to measure the voltage difference, and the meter's negative probe connects to the least positive of the two points.

Exercise: if you are preparing to measure the voltage difference between two terminals, one marked -4.4V and the other marked -8V, to which terminal should you connect the meter's positive lead?
 
Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
: if you are preparing to measure the voltage difference between two terminals, one marked -4.4V and the other marked -8V, to which terminal should you connect the meter's positive lead?
Terminal of -4.4V. Right?
 
Last edited:
gracy said:
Terminal of -8V. Right?
Number_line.gif
Positive ->
 
gracy said:
Terminal of -4.4V. Right?
Right.

Most equipment (and electronic elements) is influenced only by the voltage difference at its terminals.