How Do You Prove That Perpendicular Lines Have Negative Reciprocal Slopes?

In summary, the goal is to find the slope of L2. The professor told the students that they needed to prove that the slope of L2 is the negative reciprocal of the slope of L1. They needed to use some geometry and understand what a perpendicular line is.
STAR3URY
Please Help With A Proof!

If L1 is perpendicular to L2, prove that the slope of L2 is the negative reciprocal of the slope of L1..

PLEASE HELP ME!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of perpendicular? definition of slope? Any ideas?

EnumaElish said:
What is the definition of perpendicular? definition of slope? Any ideas?

Perpendicular is when two lines intersect to form 90 degree angles, slope is whether the line is moving up or down, and how much like the top value is the y and the bottom is the x.

If I tell you that the tangent of the angle that a line makes with any horizontal to it gives you the gradient. does that help?

Draw the right triangle connecting the points (0,0), (x,0) and (x,y). Got it? So the hypotenuse has slope y/x. Now rotate it 90 degrees and tell me what the endpoint of that hypotenuse is? What's the slope of that hypotenuse?

My professor doesn't want us to use trigonometry because we didn't learn that yet..and Dick, I am not sure I am allowed to use that as a proof..

STAR3URY said:
My professor doesn't want us to use trigonometry because we didn't learn that yet..and Dick, I am not sure I am allowed to use that as a proof..

If you can't rotate a point 90 degrees, then what's your definition of perpendicular?

Dick said:
If you can't rotate a point 90 degrees, then what's your definition of perpendicular?

During class all he told us was to prove that if
1). L1 is perpendicular to L2
2). slope of L1 is M1 where M1 can't be 0

prove that slope of L2 is -1/M1...thats it and he said not to use anything we didn't learn, he didnt talk about rotating anything, or trignometry. =(

If you don't know that the line through the point (x,y) and (0,0) and the line through the point (-y,x) and (0,0) are perpendicular then I don't think we are going anywhere. What IS your definition of perpendicular?

Well i can't use my definition all he said was his definition, and that's that they intersect and the slope of l2 is negative recipricol and that's it...we have to prove that

STAR3URY said:
Well i can't use my definition all he said was his definition, and that's that they intersect and the slope of l2 is negative recipricol and that's it...we have to prove that

Oh, come on. You said the definition of perpendicular is that the lines meet at 90 degree angles. This means you can use some geometry. Use it.

Did you learn to define perpendicular in terms of inner products (of two vectors)?

STAR3URY said:
That makes no sense. Apparently you want to PROVE that his definition is... what? Equivalent to some other definition, apparently! You can't PROVE that his definition is correct using only his definition! What is YOUR definition of perpendicular? That two lines intersect at 90 degrees?

In graph (orthonormal system) we know that if two lines are perpendicular then slope 1*slope 2 = -1 (it is a rule)
so slope 1 = -1/slope 2

mohammad_selek said:
In graph (orthonormal system) we know that if two lines are perpendicular then slope 1*slope 2 = -1 (it is a rule)
so slope 1 = -1/slope 2
One man's definition can be another's problem. :smile:

What is the lesson you took ? to determine the proof ?

Related to How Do You Prove That Perpendicular Lines Have Negative Reciprocal Slopes?

What is meant by "proving perpendicular slopes"?

Proving perpendicular slopes refers to demonstrating that two lines are perpendicular, or intersect at a 90 degree angle. This can be done by showing that the slopes of the two lines are negative reciprocals of each other.

How do you find the slope of a line?

The slope of a line can be found by dividing the change in y-coordinates (vertical change) by the change in x-coordinates (horizontal change) between any two points on the line.

What does it mean for two slopes to be negative reciprocals?

When two slopes are negative reciprocals, it means that they have opposite signs and are flipped upside down from each other. For example, if one slope is 2/3, the negative reciprocal would be -3/2.

What is the process for proving perpendicular slopes?

The process for proving perpendicular slopes involves finding the slopes of two lines, and then showing that they are negative reciprocals of each other. This can be done through algebraic manipulations or by using the Pythagorean Theorem.

Why is proving perpendicular slopes important in mathematics?

Proving perpendicular slopes is important in mathematics because it allows us to determine if two lines are perpendicular, which has many practical applications. For example, in geometry, perpendicular lines are used to create right angles, which are essential in constructing shapes such as squares and rectangles.