Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you remove water droplets inside watch?

1. Jan 20, 2008 #1
    I forgot to take my watch inside my clothes pocket and when I washed my clothes my watch formed some moisture and small water droplets inside, I let it dry under the sun for3-4 hours every day but still there's moisture inside, it seems wont go away. what do you recommend I should do?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd first try just popping the back off (where the battery is located) and let it sit for a few days to dry with the cover off so the moisture can get back out, i.e., don't wear it while trying to get it to dry.

4. Jan 20, 2008 #3
    thats the problem there I cant open the back plate.

5. Jan 20, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If its an expensive watch I'd take it to a local jeweler or watch maker and see what they recommend.

6. Jan 20, 2008 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

If the watch is valuable, take it to a jeweler. If it's not, even the jewelry counter at a discount store can pop it open.

Edit: Great minds think alike.

7. Jan 20, 2008 #6
    ok will try to bring this to a local jeweler tnks, I was hoping there's a technique for these meybe in an oven or a dehydrator maybe.

8. Jan 20, 2008 #7

Evo

The damage to the workings may be irreversible at this point and drying alone won't help.

9. Jan 20, 2008 #8
    If its a fairly inexpensive metal watch case, use a knife to pop the back of the bezel off. Just use the blade at the little rectangular spot on the back of the bezel. Its just like using a jewelers wrench.

10. Jan 21, 2008 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's a photographer's trick: Find as many of those silica gel dessicant packages ("do not eat! Throw away!") as you can, and seal them up with the watch in a zip-lock bag and leave them in a warm place. As has been said, damage may already be done.

11. Jan 21, 2008 #10
    thats a good idea tnks.

12. Jan 21, 2008 #11
    If the drops are bothering you just put the watch in a glass of water until it is completely full of water and you won't notice the drops

13. Jan 21, 2008 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: When I saw your name replying to this, I was expecting the advice to be to heat the watch with a MAPP torch to evaporate out all the water. :wink:

14. Jan 21, 2008 #13
    I thought about that, but when I tried it on my watch I burned the heck out of my wrist

15. Jan 21, 2008 #14

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm dead. DoL. I've died. I'm dead.:snarf: Rofl::eek:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  16. Jan 21, 2008 #15

turbo

Gold Member

You are supposed to put the watch on your living-room carpet when you use a torch to dry it.

17. Jan 21, 2008 #16
    And then flip the square of carpet to cover the damage?

18. Jan 21, 2008 #17

Evo

I see you've been following closely!

19. Jan 21, 2008 #18

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Go somewhere where they sell hearing aids and ask for the little container thing that extracts moisture out of small thing (like hearing aids). Buy one for like $10. If you put it in there every night, you'll never see droplets of water in your watch.

20. Jan 22, 2008 #19

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Putting a watch in a 120F or even 150F oven for a few hours should dry it out without causing any damage. Be careful, though, and use a thermometer -- many household ovens do not properly indicate temperatures this low.

- Warren

21. Jan 22, 2008 #20
    Stick it in a desiccator filled with Dryrite. Wait until the dryrite turns pink. It will definitely work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?