1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you show the other side of the inequality?

1. Apr 5, 2010 #1
    Let x be a vector. How do you show that [tex]\left\| x^{*} \right\| _{p} = \left\| x \right\| _{q}[/tex]
    where [tex]\frac{1}{p} + \frac{1}{q} = 1[/tex]

By using this definition of [tex]\left\| x^{*} \right\| _{p} = max_{ \left\| y \right\| _{p} =1} \left\| x^{*} y \right\| _{p} [/tex]

and Holder's inequality, I am able to prove that

[tex]\left\| x^{*} \right\| _{p} \leq \left\| x \right\| _{q}[/tex]

But how do you show the other side of the inequality?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2010 #2
    Re: p-norms

I am unsure of what you're doing. Is x an element in Lp? If so, are you asking to prove that the dual space of Lp is isometrically isomorphic to Lq?

4. Apr 6, 2010 #3
    Re: p-norms

x is a column vector. The initial problem that I am trying to prove is to show that for a matrix [tex]A \in \textbf{C}^{m\times n}[/tex],

[tex]\left\| A \right\|^{2}_{2} \leq \left\| A \right\|_{p} \left\| A \right\|_{q}[/tex]
    where [tex]\frac{1}{p} + \frac{1}{q} = 1[/tex]

I use the fact that for any Hermitian matrix, the 2-norm is less or equal than any matrix norm induced by a vector norm. I use the fact that the matrix A*A is Hermitian and I can show that

[tex]\left\| A \right\|^{2}_{2} = \left\|A ^{\ast}A \right\|_{2} \leq \left\| A^{*} \right\|_{q} \left\| A \right\|_{q}[/tex]

So now my claim is to show that
    [tex] \left\| A^{*} \right\|_{q} = \left\| A \right\|_{p}[/tex]

So that's why I first want to prove the claim for [tex] A= x [/tex] being a mX1 matrix (column vector).

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook