How do you solve eq. that have both exponents and polynomials

In summary, there are two real number solutions for the equation 2^x = -x^2 - 2x. These solutions can be found by graphing the function or using the intermediate value theorem. The equation does not have a nice, analytic way to solve it, but we can use the derivative to determine the number of zeros between each function. By taking the second derivative, we can see that there is at most one solution. However, by checking for values of x making the function negative, we can find two solutions between -2 and 0.
Government$
The question was: How many real number solutions are there for 2^x=-x^2-2x. I tired for an hour to isolate x but i couldn't do it. Then i used wolfram alpha and it gave me two solutions and graph. I realized that question was, how many not what are the solutions, and i could do that by graphing. But i still can't figure out algorithm for solving this type of equation.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is no nice, analytic way to solve the equation.

Intermediate value theorem is very powerful, you can use this to figure out the number of zeroes.

If you want to be really hardcore about this you can do this without ever knowing how to graph any of these functions, just by knowing they are suitably differentiable. For example

We want to find [itex] 2^x + x^2+ 2x = 0[/itex]

Between every 0 of this function, the function has to change from increasing to decreasing. So the derivative needs to have a zero between each function. Taking the derivative
[itex] \ln(2) 2^x + 2x + 2 = 0 [/itex]

OK, between each of the zeros here the derivative has to be zero. So we take the second derivative
[itex] \ln(2)^2 2^x + 2 = 0[/itex]
This has no solutions because the left hand side is always positive. So this means that
[itex] \ln(2) 2^x + 2x + 2 = 0[/itex]
has at most one solution. We can observe that it has at least one solution because plugging in x=-infinity and x=infinity it changes from positive to negative. This means that
tex] 2^x + x^2+ 2x = 0 [/tex]
Can have at most two solutions. If x is incredibly large in magnitude (negative or positive), then the function is positive, so there are two zeros if we can find an x making the left hand side negative, and no zeros if we can never make the left hand side negative.

How can we perform this search for a value of x making [itex] 2^x + x^2 + 2x[/itex] negative? Well, the 2x is positive, as is x2. Ff x is very far from 0 (negative), then 2x is negligible and the x2 is the dominating positive term. So we can find bounds on where any potential negative value come from by checking:
[tex] x^2 + 2x > 0[/tex]
Occurs whenever x < -2
So we need to find a number between -2 and 0 making the function 0. As a first guess we try x = -1
[tex] 2^{-1} + (-1)^2 - 2 = -1/2 < 0[/tex]
And we've shown there are two solutions! Even better we now know that one of them is between -2 and -1, and the other is between -1 and 0

1. How do you approach solving equations with both exponents and polynomials?

When solving equations with both exponents and polynomials, it is important to first determine if the equation can be simplified by factoring. If not, then the equation can be solved using the rules of exponents and algebraic manipulation.

2. What are some common techniques used in solving equations with both exponents and polynomials?

Some common techniques used in solving equations with both exponents and polynomials include factoring, the power rule for exponents, and the distributive property. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of basic algebraic concepts such as combining like terms and isolating variables.

3. How do you solve equations with negative exponents?

To solve equations with negative exponents, you can use the rule that states that a negative exponent can be rewritten as the reciprocal of the same term with a positive exponent. For example, x-2 can be rewritten as 1/x2. From there, you can use algebraic techniques to simplify the equation and solve for the variable.

4. Can you provide an example of solving an equation with both exponents and polynomials?

Sure! Let's take the equation 2x2 + 3x - 5 = 0 as an example. First, we can try to factor the equation to simplify it. In this case, we can factor out a 2 to get 2(x2 + 3/2x - 5/2) = 0. From there, we can use the quadratic formula or complete the square to solve for x. Alternatively, we can also use the power rule for exponents to rewrite the equation as 2x2 + 3x1 - 5 = 0 and then solve using algebraic techniques.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when solving equations with both exponents and polynomials?

Yes, one special case to consider is when the equation has a fractional exponent. In this case, you can use the rule that states that a fractional exponent can be rewritten as a radical. For example, x1/2 can be rewritten as √x. Other special cases may include equations with complex numbers or equations that require the use of logarithms to solve.