How Do You Solve for Inductance and Resistance in an RLC Circuit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter deenuh20
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circuit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
deenuh20
Messages
50
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An RLC circuit has a capacitance of C=0.26 µF.

(a) What inductance will produce a resonant frequency of 95 Mz? -----pH
(b) If the impedance at resonance is 1/5 of the impedance at 10 kHz, what value of R should be chosen? ----Ohm

Homework Equations



omega = 1/(LC)^1/2

Z=[(R^2 + (wL-(1/wC)^2]^1/2



The Attempt at a Solution



Part (a): I used omega = 1/(LC)^1/2, and got the correct answer, 10.5712pH

Part (b): I tried setting the impendane at resonance equal to the impendance at 10kHz and solving for R, but I could not arrive at a solution. So, instead, since Z=R at resonance, I tried solving the impendance equation only at resonace for Z=R, but I have too many unknowns. Can anyone offer a hint as to how I should set this part up? Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, math errors. I managed to figure it out.