How Do You Solve These Two Uniform Motion Problems?

In summary: So, in summary, two cars will be 200 miles apart in 5 hours if they started from the same place and same time, and if one car traveled twice the speed of the other.
DB
hey guys, in order to get the rest of problems on this sheet, i got to know how to do the first 2, and unfortunatly I am stuck, could u guys gimme a push in the right direction?

1. two cars are traveling in opposite directions at the speeds of 18 mph and 22 mph respectively. if they started from the same place and same time then in how many hours will they be 200 miles apart?

so far i got:
[tex]d_1+d_2=200[/tex]

[tex]\Delta t=\frac{\Delta d}{v}[/tex]
so

[tex]\Delta t=\frac{200-d_2}{v}[/tex]

and

[tex]\Delta t=\frac{200-d_1}{v}[/tex]

can i do this?:

[tex]\frac{200-d_2}{v}=\frac{200-d_1}{v}[/tex]
if i can, then the algebra's got me stuck

------------
2. two cars started towards each other at the same time from points which are 300 km apart, and met in 5 hours. if one traveled twice the speed of the other, then wat were their speeds?

so far i know i have use:

[tex]v=\frac{\Delta d}{\Delta t}[/tex]

and

[tex]v_1=x [/tex]
[tex]v_2=2x[/tex]

but then I am stumped, i know i need another equation with the 300 km but i can't see it :(

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The same approach will work for both problems.

For the first problem, realize that:
[tex]d_1 = v_1 t[/tex]
[tex]d_2 = v_2 t[/tex]

Just combine with your equation:
[tex]d_1+d_2=200[/tex]
and solve for t.

For the second problem, just like the first problem you have:
[tex]d_1+d_2=300[/tex]

And you have:
[tex]d_1 = v_1 t[/tex]
[tex]d_2 = v_2 t = 2 v_1 t[/tex]

This time t is known. Combine these and solve for [itex]v_1[/itex], and then [itex]v_2[/itex].

wow i feel stupid its so easy! lol anyway i get 5 hours for the first n 20 km/h n 40 km/h for the second, thanks doc al.

DB said:
anyway i get 5 hours for the first n 20 km/h n 40 km/h for the second
Right. Don't forget that in the second problem you need to find the speeds of both cars.

Related to How Do You Solve These Two Uniform Motion Problems?

1. What is uniform motion?

Uniform motion refers to the movement of an object at a constant speed in a straight line. This means that the object covers equal distances in equal intervals of time.

2. How is uniform motion different from non-uniform motion?

Unlike uniform motion, non-uniform motion involves a change in speed or direction of an object. This means that the object does not cover equal distances in equal intervals of time, as it may accelerate, decelerate, or change direction.

3. What is the formula for calculating average speed in a uniform motion problem?

The formula for average speed in a uniform motion problem is distance divided by time. This can be expressed as:
Average Speed = Distance/Time

4. Can uniform motion problems involve more than one object?

Yes, uniform motion problems can involve multiple objects moving at constant speeds. In these cases, the distance and time for each object must be considered separately, and the average speed can be calculated for each object using the same formula.

5. How can we use uniform motion to solve real-world problems?

Uniform motion can be applied to many real-world scenarios, such as calculating the speed of a car or the distance traveled by a plane. By using the formula for average speed, we can determine the time it takes to travel a certain distance or the distance covered in a specific time period.