Coffee in the Navy: A Survival Guide.

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary: I forget the word for the place where they roast their coffee.Anyway, I love trying new roasts, but I stuck with my regular roast for the longest time.In summary, Doc Al's recent thread on the effects of coffee on naps got me to thinking about how I like my coffee. I like it with a healthy dose of sugar-free sweetener, cream, and nutmeg. I like it with two scoops of ice cream, honey, and nutmeg, or with vanilla or chocolate ice cream. I like it coffee with a generous portion of nutmeg, and I drink it black or with milk, cream, ice cream, or half and half, or whatever is on hand. I've been

How Do You Take Your Coffee?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Physics news on Phys.org
Cream, and reheated in the microwave.

I like half half-and-half, and half 2% milk.

Dry double shot with only foam, I put "a whisper"* of milk , with two drops of half-and-half , a Splenda and a -half, or an Equal -and-a-half. Or, in Summer days, iced. I also give preference to places that have seating, if there is one within reasonable distance.* Saw that expression once at a pretty fancy place.

Last edited:
I'll drink it black (i.e., no sugar or dairy), but I'll just as likely take milk, cream, ice cream, or half-and-half, or whatever is on hand.

Often I'll take it with vanilla or chocolate ice cream. Put one or two scoops in a mug and pour in the coffee.

For a while, I did two tablespoons of vanilla ice cream, honey, and nutmeg, then pour in the coffee.

At Starbucks, I get the Mocha Latte with a generous portion of nutmeg.

I've enjoyed Irish coffee on occasion, but not too often.

Astronuc said:
I'll drink it black (i.e., no sugar or dairy), but I'll just as likely take milk, cream, ice cream, or half-and-half, or whatever is on hand.

Often I'll take it with vanilla or chocolate ice cream. Put one or two scoops in a mug and pour in the coffee.

For a while, I did two tablespoons of vanilla ice cream, honey, and nutmeg, then pour in the coffee.

At Starbucks, I get the Mocha Latte with a generous portion of nutmeg.

I've enjoyed Irish coffee on occasion, but not too often.

Nutmeg...it is an unchallenged truth (in my mind) that nutmeg is under-used and under-appreciated. Nutmeg and cream in a savory dish taste like angles singing, if singing had a flavor.

I'll definitely try it in coffee :approve:.

WWGD said:
Dry double shot with only foam, I put "a whisper"* of milk , with two drops of half-and-half , a Splenda and a -half, or an Equal -and-a-half. Or, in Summer days, iced. I also give preference to places that have seating, if there is one within reasonable distance.

* Saw that expression once at a pretty fancy place.

I can barely hear your milk :biggrin:. I like a healthy dose, myself.

Cream with just a hint of sugar free sweetener.

lisab said:
Nutmeg...it is an unchallenged truth (in my mind) that nutmeg is under-used and under-appreciated. Nutmeg and cream in a savory dish taste like angles singing, if singing had a flavor.

Whenever I travel or go overseas and have coffee or espresso or cappuccino in a restaurant, I'll ask to have it with nutmeg. Nutmeg is a hallmark for a good restaurant.

I've been drinking coffee since I was about 11. Probably self-medication for ADD/ADHD.

I scream for ice cream! (Because it is too hot otherwise.)

For most of my life I drank my coffee black with no sugar. Then one morning about a year ago I spotted something new in the fridge. It was chocolate flavored almond milk that my wife had bought for the grandchildren.

I was feeling very adventuresome that morning, and I really needed a change in my life, so I poured a bit in my coffee. I have been hooked on it ever since.

Edit
My sense of humor doesn't come across in test. I miss my smiley face emoticon

Last edited:
lisab said:

I think I will sprinkle some nutmeg on my coffee laced with chocolate almond milk.:approve: My mother used nutmeg a lot when I was growing up.

Green tea dumped with sugar and coffee.

Half and half and whatever zero calories sweetener they have. 1 packet per 12 oz cup.

Last edited:
Two coffees on most days. First, around noon - with 2% foamed milk. Second, around 8 p.m. - black. Both with 2 tbsp. of sugar.

Tea for the rest of the day.

I mostly use some sugar, about half the usual serving size you get at the cafe's around here.
Might stop that completely since it has been tasting to sweet lately.

The occasional shot of scotch or rum in there is great too. Helps you sleep :)

Lets not talk about amounts throughout the day...

I've become super snobby about coffee since I moved to the Northwest. I only drink it black unless I'm drinking some really bad grind or say, instant coffee for some reason. Then I'll add a little half and half, never any sweetener.

At the cafe's I go to, there's typically a dozen or more roasts to choose from, each from a different country/province/farm. Each are grown and harvested in a manner to produce a certain type of bean that will yield certain qualities when roasted a certain way. They advertise these qualities on the label of the bags. Hint's of this or that, fruity, caramel, chocolate, hint of bourbon, etc.

It's not only the roast, it's also the way it's ground, the temperature of the water, even down to the type of pour over kit you use, the spacing of the holes, the type of filter, the rate and spread of the water over the grinds, etc. The good baristas take care to pay attention to these details and it pays off in the taste. You really can detect those notes. Maybe it's mostly psychological, but who cares. It's a great cup of Joe. The last thing you want to do is pervert it with sugar or cream. That would pretty much ruin the subtleties that are worked on so hard to reveal.

I remember one day I forgot to bring my thermos cup and told the guy just to put it in one of those wax to-go cups and he almost wouldn't do it because he said the cup would ruin the taste. That's how serious some people up here are about their coffee.

I take my coffee poured down the drain and then vaporized.

I drink my first set of morning, double espressos without accompaniment. For the next couple of cups, I'll draw a little longer, making the result slightly more diluted, and I'll add half-&-half or cream to those.

The pre- and post- lunch double espressos are, of course, black, without accompaniment.

Then as I sip on coffee the rest of day, I will add some sort of creamer (whatever is available).

In emergency situations when I'm on the instant, I'll usually just drink that black.

Coffee coffee in my veins
Stimulate this writer's brains
Course right through my ev'ry artery
Make my verse more terse and smartery
By the teacup, by the mug
Inspiration by the jug;
Is it madness, do I sorta
Feel a throb in my aorta?
No, 'tis nothing, just a twinge
Time to start another binge.

Eric

Likes lisab
Astronuc said:
Whenever I travel or go overseas and have coffee or espresso or cappuccino in a restaurant, I'll ask to have it with nutmeg. Nutmeg is a hallmark for a good restaurant.

I've been drinking coffee since I was about 11. Probably self-medication for ADD/ADHD.
Same for me on both but, I'll have to try the nutmeg variation. I've been drinking coffee since I was 10 and used to dunk my toast in it. :smile:

If you're ever in New Orleans, try adding chicory (it's a staple of coffee there). It's an acquired taste, so don't be surprised if you don't like your first cup. But trust me, you'll miss it upon returning after your trip's end.

One packet of sugar in my regular coffee...but to be honest I enjoy a vanilla latte much more lol.

lisab said:
Or if angles could sing... Are those angles acute or obtuse? :devil:

As for me, I have one cup of coffee in the morning, and that's it. I make it pretty strong, using 1/4 cup of Starbucks House Blend (which I imagine is floor sweepings) with a cup of water. I put a little sugar in, about a teaspoon.

black, bitter and full of caffeine.

Likes CFDFEAGURU
Cut my teeth on double strength black coffee.
Never wash the coffee cup.

Screen-shot-2013-11-25-at-9.14.09-AM.png

A coffee van ( a small van that a guy makes and sells coffee out of the back of) started doing the afternoon rounds when I work about 4 weeks ago. I'm now totally addicted to my 2.30PM Cappuccino fix

I have a bit of a sweet tooth and would normally have 2 sugars but have knocked back to just 1 sugar ... its taking a bit of get used to. Have tried with no sugar and its just too bittercheers
Dave

I do 2 mugs of black to start the day. Never used sweetener or dairy. Have done mocha by adding chocolate and sometimes a shot of Amaretto, but that makes it too sweet.

Strong, dark, and black. Only way to go.

Just had a cup, so it's time for my nap!

Can anyone tell me if they're able to see the votes in the POLL?

I ask because I didn't vote, I used the "see votes without voting" option that was present in VBulletin. Now I see every option as having 0 votes and I'm not allowed to vote. Not sure if I should report this as a bug just yet..

EDIT: Someone should make the same kind of thread for tea.

DataGG said:
Can anyone tell me if they're able to see the votes in the POLL?

No, I don't see the poll results as well.

I wonder if that means they didn't survive the migration.

Black if I want to taste the coffee. For comfort I like it iced with just a little bit of 2% milk. I'd like to go to a coffee tasting shindig to understand the differences between different beans and such. I might have it black more often after that. For now bad coffee = good coffee! :D

Also I can see the poll results. Must have fixed it since the post above.

Black, like my soul.

Black as midnight, black as pitch.

<h2>1. What is the history of coffee in the Navy?</h2><p>The history of coffee in the Navy dates back to the 1700s when it was first introduced as a staple beverage for sailors. It was believed to provide a boost of energy and help keep sailors alert during long voyages.</p><h2>2. How much coffee is consumed in the Navy?</h2><p>According to a study conducted by the Naval Health Research Center, the average sailor consumes about 3 cups of coffee per day. This adds up to over 10 million pounds of coffee consumed by the Navy every year.</p><h2>3. Is coffee rationed in the Navy?</h2><p>No, coffee is not rationed in the Navy. Sailors are allowed to consume as much coffee as they want, as long as it does not interfere with their duties or cause any health issues.</p><h2>4. How do sailors make coffee on a ship?</h2><p>Most ships have a designated coffee mess where sailors can make their own coffee using instant coffee packets or a coffee maker. Some ships also have a coffee bar where sailors can purchase specialty coffee drinks.</p><h2>5. Is coffee important for morale in the Navy?</h2><p>Yes, coffee is considered an important part of Navy culture and is often referred to as "the lifeblood of the Navy." It is a source of comfort and camaraderie for sailors, especially during long deployments or difficult missions.</p>

1. What is the history of coffee in the Navy?

The history of coffee in the Navy dates back to the 1700s when it was first introduced as a staple beverage for sailors. It was believed to provide a boost of energy and help keep sailors alert during long voyages.

2. How much coffee is consumed in the Navy?

According to a study conducted by the Naval Health Research Center, the average sailor consumes about 3 cups of coffee per day. This adds up to over 10 million pounds of coffee consumed by the Navy every year.

3. Is coffee rationed in the Navy?

No, coffee is not rationed in the Navy. Sailors are allowed to consume as much coffee as they want, as long as it does not interfere with their duties or cause any health issues.

4. How do sailors make coffee on a ship?

Most ships have a designated coffee mess where sailors can make their own coffee using instant coffee packets or a coffee maker. Some ships also have a coffee bar where sailors can purchase specialty coffee drinks.

5. Is coffee important for morale in the Navy?

Yes, coffee is considered an important part of Navy culture and is often referred to as "the lifeblood of the Navy." It is a source of comfort and camaraderie for sailors, especially during long deployments or difficult missions.