Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does a electric potatoes peeler work?

1. Feb 25, 2009 #1
    Hey guys. Just a simple question for you

How does a electric peeler work? In particular how is it able to rotate the fruit? The spinning action itself I think is not sufficient…maybe for the friction on the cutting plate? In a potatoes peeler the only part that rotate is the plate with the abrasive-cutting coating, while the bowl is firm…
    Any knowledge will be appreciated.

Ciao

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2009 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Much like a mechanical one, except with a motor:

EDIT: I recall seeing a how-it's-made type show where industrial scale peeling was accomplished by using a caustic (sodium hydroxide--lye) to soften the outer layers and then tumble / rub them around until the outer layers rubbed away. You could probably do something similar with other fruits / vegetables.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Feb 25, 2009 #3
    hey dude. Thanks for the quick reply. I am a design&enginnering student in italy and i am designing a machine which has to rotate fruit (360°) in order to polish it. So i was thinking to use the same mechanism and layout of the potatoes peller to move-rotate the fruit inside. It will be small as well cause has to be used into a house environment.
    Thanks
    ciao

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook