1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does a electric potatoes peeler work?

1. Feb 25, 2009 #1
    Hey guys. Just a simple question for you

How does a electric peeler work? In particular how is it able to rotate the fruit? The spinning action itself I think is not sufficient…maybe for the friction on the cutting plate? In a potatoes peeler the only part that rotate is the plate with the abrasive-cutting coating, while the bowl is firm…
    Any knowledge will be appreciated.

Ciao

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2009 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Much like a mechanical one, except with a motor:

EDIT: I recall seeing a how-it's-made type show where industrial scale peeling was accomplished by using a caustic (sodium hydroxide--lye) to soften the outer layers and then tumble / rub them around until the outer layers rubbed away. You could probably do something similar with other fruits / vegetables.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Feb 25, 2009 #3
    hey dude. Thanks for the quick reply. I am a design&enginnering student in italy and i am designing a machine which has to rotate fruit (360°) in order to polish it. So i was thinking to use the same mechanism and layout of the potatoes peller to move-rotate the fruit inside. It will be small as well cause has to be used into a house environment.
    Thanks
    ciao

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook