How does a electric potatoes peeler work?

In summary, an electric peeler works by using a motor to rotate the cutting plate, which is coated with an abrasive substance, to peel the fruit or vegetable. The spinning action alone may not be enough, so friction on the cutting plate also helps. In some cases, a caustic substance can be used to soften the outer layers before tumbling or rubbing the fruit to remove the peel. This mechanism can also be used for other purposes, such as polishing fruit, and can be designed for household use.
mrdavide
Hey guys. Just a simple question for you

How does a electric peeler work? In particular how is it able to rotate the fruit? The spinning action itself I think is not sufficient…maybe for the friction on the cutting plate? In a potatoes peeler the only part that rotate is the plate with the abrasive-cutting coating, while the bowl is firm…
Any knowledge will be appreciated.

Ciao

Engineering news on Phys.org
mrdavide said:
Hey guys. Just a simple question for you

How does a electric peeler work? In particular how is it able to rotate the fruit? The spinning action itself I think is not sufficient…maybe for the friction on the cutting plate? In a potatoes peeler the only part that rotate is the plate with the abrasive-cutting coating, while the bowl is firm…
Any knowledge will be appreciated.

Ciao

Much like a mechanical one, except with a motor:

EDIT: I recall seeing a how-it's-made type show where industrial scale peeling was accomplished by using a caustic (sodium hydroxide--lye) to soften the outer layers and then tumble / rub them around until the outer layers rubbed away. You could probably do something similar with other fruits / vegetables.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey dude. Thanks for the quick reply. I am a design&enginnering student in italy and i am designing a machine which has to rotate fruit (360°) in order to polish it. So i was thinking to use the same mechanism and layout of the potatoes peller to move-rotate the fruit inside. It will be small as well cause has to be used into a house environment.
Thanks
ciao

1. How does an electric potatoes peeler work?

An electric potatoes peeler works by using a motor to rotate a sharp blade against the surface of the potato. The blade scrapes off the skin, while the rotating motion ensures that the entire surface of the potato is peeled evenly.

2. What powers an electric potatoes peeler?

An electric potatoes peeler is powered by electricity from an outlet. The motor inside the peeler converts this electrical energy into mechanical energy to rotate the blade and peel the potatoes.

3. Is an electric potatoes peeler safe to use?

Yes, an electric potatoes peeler is generally safe to use. However, it is important to always follow the manufacturer's instructions and to use caution when handling the peeler and the sharp blade.

4. How long does it take for an electric potatoes peeler to peel a potato?

The time it takes for an electric potatoes peeler to peel a potato can vary depending on the size of the potato and the speed of the motor. On average, it takes about 10-30 seconds to peel a potato with an electric peeler.

5. Can an electric potatoes peeler peel other types of vegetables?

Yes, many electric potatoes peelers come with different blade attachments that can be used to peel other types of vegetables, such as carrots, cucumbers, and apples. However, it is important to check the manufacturer's instructions before using the peeler on different types of produce.