How does turning off a light bulb affect the entire electric grid?

In summary, the current electrical grid system works by AC current being generated at the power factory (or power factories) and then being transferred to your power socket. There is also a way to measure your consumption of electricity, but it is not always easy to find information on the internet.
AsadQZR
Hello Physics Forums, this is my first post!

I wanted to know how the current electrical grid system works. I mean, not in terms of creation, transmission, and distribution, but rather, how you would draw it on a circuit diagram. I understand that an AC current is generated at the power factory (or power factories) but how does that make it to my power socket? Also how does it not, when my switch is turned off?

It would be awesome if you could also answer how the electricity company measures my consumption of electricity.

Thank you for answering, I will appreciate any input on it :smile:. You see, I was not able to find very good information on the internet, even after many hours spent researching related things.

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

AsadQZR said:
Hello Physics Forums, this is my first post!

I wanted to know how the current electrical grid system works. I mean, not in terms of creation, transmission, and distribution, but rather, how you would draw it on a circuit diagram. I understand that an AC current is generated at the power factory (or power factories) but how does that make it to my power socket? Also how does it not, when my switch is turned off?

It would be awesome if you could also answer how the electricity company measures my consumption of electricity.

Thank you for answering, I will appreciate any input on it :smile:. You see, I was not able to find very good information on the internet, even after many hours spent researching related things.

This Insights article will answer some, but not all of your questions.
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/what-happens-when-you-flip-the-light-switch/

On Physics Forums it is usually best to ask only one question per thread.

Likes berkeman and AsadQZR
anorlunda said:
:welcome:
This Insights article will answer some, but not all of your questions.
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/what-happens-when-you-flip-the-light-switch/

On Physics Forums it is usually best to ask only one question per thread.

Thank you very much for that link, I am halfway through it, and it is very informative. I will ask one question in my threads from now on.

Since you asked about drawing circuits, the industry standard is to use one-line diagrams for drawing distribution level circuits. These diagrams simplify the drawing of 3-phase systems. As the name implies, in one-line diagrams you can group multiple wires into a single power bus. Three-phase transformers become single units. It would be a real mess if you actually drew the entire circuit with all the transformer taps, fuses, disconnects, and panels. It wouldn't make much sense at all. You can find plenty of one-line (single-line) examples from a Google search.

Likes AsadQZR
WECC maps (maps of the Western US grid) show simple lines for large transmission lines, for example. Even though I worked in power for years, it has now become harder to get access to accurate data or maps. FERC and NERC (agencies that oversee the grid) have tried to lock down this kind of data since 9/11.

I have not seen an electric grid map since 2009 when I moved to gas only. However there were points on the map that even people like me could see where an attack would have massive consequences. There has been work since then to improve things.

Read this to see how a software bug at one electric company brought down Major parts of the US Northeast grid, and the part of the grid in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003

Likes AsadQZR
You might enjoy watching the grid shift power between regions
http://fnetpublic.utk.edu/index.html

select "us frequency gradient map" which shows frequency changes
though something is wrong with it, it shows 'way out west' always running slow
but it's still interesting to watch frequency hunt around 60hz, demonstrating the grid is a dynamic almost living thing as per Anorlunda's insights article...

or select "angle contour map" where red-ish regions are shipping power into blue-ish regions

displays of captured grid upsets are fun to watch.

old jim

Likes AsadQZR, OmCheeto and anorlunda
Once again, @jim hardy found an excellent web resource. But my favorite on that site is the "captured grid upsets" that Jim mentioned. In particular, the event below is very instructive. It shows how a local event (a tornado) causes the grid over a wide area to respond.

Turning off a light bulb, is like the tornado event in miniature. And yes it is true that turning off a light in Kentucky slightly alters the power flow on every power line from Kansas to Maine. In Europe, I could say a light bulb in Kiev effects every power line between Siberia to Spain. And those power flow changes influence frequency.

Likes AsadQZR, jim hardy and OmCheeto

1. What is the electric grid?

The electric grid is a complex network of power plants, transmission lines, and distribution systems that work together to deliver electricity to homes, businesses, and other buildings. It is responsible for bringing electricity from the source of generation to the end user, allowing us to power our lives.

2. How does the electric grid work?

The electric grid works by generating electricity at power plants, which then travels through high-voltage transmission lines to substations. From there, the electricity is distributed through lower-voltage distribution lines to homes and businesses. The flow of electricity is carefully managed and monitored to ensure a reliable and consistent supply.

3. Is the electric grid vulnerable to cyber attacks?

Yes, the electric grid is vulnerable to cyber attacks. With the increasing use of digital technology and interconnected systems, the electric grid has become more susceptible to cyber attacks from hackers and other malicious actors. This is why there are strict security measures in place to protect the grid from potential threats.

4. What are the main challenges facing the electric grid?

Some of the main challenges facing the electric grid include aging infrastructure, increasing demand for electricity, and the integration of renewable energy sources. The grid is also vulnerable to natural disasters, cyber attacks, and other disruptions, making it a constant challenge to maintain a reliable and stable supply of electricity.

5. How can we make the electric grid more efficient and sustainable?

There are several ways to make the electric grid more efficient and sustainable. One way is by modernizing and upgrading the infrastructure, such as replacing old transmission lines and implementing smart grid technology. Another way is by increasing the use of renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels. Additionally, improving energy efficiency practices can also help to make the electric grid more sustainable in the long run.