How does a rocket work in space

In summary: I'm not sure. But at the most fundamental level, a rocket works by ejecting something (fuel) and the fuel pushes back on the rocket.
DaveC426913 said:
The principle of momentum, which you call "bookkeeping" is, in fact, the fundamental principle. Everything else is mere bookkeeping.
I agree. Whatever the nature of the interaction between the exhaust and the rocket conservation of momentum works. The exhaust can be a book, a hot gas, an accelerated particle, or a photon, the same principle applies. That is what a fundamental principle does, it ties together seemingly disparate things into one overall concept.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok this is getting more "English 101" than anyone reading this thread initially would expect. I mean I wake up the next morning to check this thread and this thread just got 10x bigger full of possible character analysis of the editor and me.

That microscopic and complicated part is what I'm asking, (bravo if you figured that out) but that seems to be utterly unnecessary, and from some of your perspective, the editor putting something in there just for the fun of it.

shredder666 said:
Ok this is getting more "English 101" than anyone reading this thread initially would expect. I mean I wake up the next morning to check this thread and this thread just got 10x bigger full of possible character analysis of the editor and me.

That microscopic and complicated part is what I'm asking, (bravo if you figured that out) but that seems to be utterly unnecessary, and from some of your perspective, the editor putting something in there just for the fun of it.

Er... yeah, that last paragraph pretty much sums it up. The microscopic level is unnecessary.

shredder666 said:
That microscopic and complicated part is what I'm asking,
If I may be so presumptuous, I think the thread has served a greater good, since you have come out of it minus a misconception you had been carrying about how rockets work in the first place. Your newfound knowledge of the micro/macro mechanics of rocket exhaust would not be much good if the foundation upon which it was built was wrong. :wink:

A.T.
You really undervalue the concept of momentum conservation as a mere "book keeping rule". There are few aspects of Science more fundamental than Momentum Conservation; it applies to the macroscopic and the microscopic. Any 'lay' person who wants explanations which don't hang on that principle is likely to be getting the wrong end of a lot of sticks. It just isn't fair to suggest to anyone that they should try to get to know Physics without it..