How Does a Water Drop's Speed Change as It Falls and Gains Mass?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
martyg314
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
This is for a mechanics class. I'm sort of re-learning how to apply calculus and differential equations in this class, so I get stuck trying to figure out how to apply the math I learned 2 or more semesters ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

m.g.

Homework Statement



"A spherical water drop falls through the atmosphere and its mass increases at a
rate proportional to its area. Find the speed of the drop as a function of time, assuming
that the drop started with zero initial speed."

- disregard drag in this problem
- starting mass is a finite mass
- for the area, cross sectional area or surface area can be used, but cross-sectional area will probably be easier

Homework Equations



I modeled this as a momentum problem, similar to a rocket losing mass as it accelerates, but instead as a drop gaining mass as it falls

The Attempt at a Solution



the increase in mass is proportional to the area (I used the cross section):

[tex]\frac{dm}{dt}[/tex] = k4[tex]\pi[/tex]r[tex]^{2}[/tex]


The forces are gravity and the changing momentum:

F=mg-[tex]\frac{dp}{dt}[/tex]

which simplifies to:
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex] = g - ([tex]\frac{v}{m}[/tex])[tex]\frac{dm}{dt}[/tex]

Substituting in, I get the differential equation which is where I'm stuck:

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex] = g - ([tex]\frac{v}{m}[/tex])k4[tex]\pi[/tex]r[tex]^{2}[/tex]

I think I need to remove the m from the equation to solve for v but since r changes as a function of time as well, that doesn't seem to help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
could you not deduce from the mass differential equation that dr/dt is a constant
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. I think I finally got it.

Knowing that [tex]\frac{dR}{dt}[/tex] is constant, R = kt + R0

I also used the mass/volume/density equation suggested above.

I switched variables to get the equation:

[tex]\frac{dv}{dR}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{g}{k}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{3v}{R}[/tex]

([tex]\rho[/tex] omitted since we are dealing with water)

And I solved from there.

Thanks for the help. I can see how relatively simple it is now.

-mg