How does an electron decide when to de-excite?

• Thread starter quawa99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    electron
In summary, after an electron is excited to a higher energy orbit, it will eventually go back to some of the lower energy orbits through a process known as spontaneous emission. This is a random process based on probability, with different energy states having different transition rates. This phenomenon is similar to radioactive decay and was first studied by Einstein.
quawa99
after an electron is excited to a higher energy orbit ,when exactly does it go back to some of the lower energy orbits?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's spontaneous

do you mean random?

quawa99 said:
do you mean random?
yeah

It's all based on probability. Each state has a particular probability of transitioning to a lower energy state per unit of time and some states take longer or shorter to transition than others. I wish I had a good link for you, but the ones I can find at the moment are knee-deep in quantum mechanical terms, which are over even my head.

Wiki, which is a good place to start, has a text on Spontaneous emission,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_emission

Note the section on probability in the Introduction and the similarity with radioactive decay.
And the section on Theory and Rate, where, as always, it requires more grey-matter usage.

Likes quawa99
when electrons are exiced they absorb energy so they jump to a higher orbit(shell), when they go into lower shells they release energy in the form of electromagnetic waves.

1. What is de-excitation of an electron?

De-excitation of an electron is a process in which an electron in an excited state drops down to a lower energy level, emitting a photon in the process.

2. How does an electron become excited in the first place?

An electron becomes excited when it absorbs energy, usually in the form of a photon, and jumps to a higher energy level.

3. What factors influence an electron's decision to de-excite?

The decision of an electron to de-excite is influenced by the energy levels available to it, as well as the likelihood of the electron transitioning to a lower energy level through the emission of a photon.

4. Can an electron remain in an excited state indefinitely?

No, an electron will eventually de-excite and return to its ground state, releasing the absorbed energy in the form of a photon.

5. How is the de-excitation of electrons useful in scientific research?

The de-excitation process is used in various fields of research, such as spectroscopy and quantum mechanics, to study the energy levels and transitions of atoms and molecules. It is also utilized in technologies such as lasers and fluorescent microscopy.