1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does charge pass through a capacitor in a radio tuner

1. Jun 26, 2011 #1
    I understand that the simplest tuner you can have is a capacitor and inductor connected in series, and i understand that radio waves use AC current to send signals, and that capacitors block DC current. I think i also understand that an inductor even without an iron core experiences an opposing magnetic force (?) thus clearing the way for electrical resonance via AC current.

but I am having a hard time visualizing how AC current is passed through a fully charged capacitor. Does the term really mean charges pass through or just that it pulls and pushes the charges already inside the inductor. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but after doing some searching of my own, i came across this confusing writing:

Since the charging of a capacitor can be thought of as moving charge from one plate DIRECTLY onto the other plate through a potential difference of V, the voltage between the capacitor plates.

because i though a capacitor only stored voltage. I did not know electrons could jump from one plate to the other, because that does not make sense to me

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2011 #2
    they don't mean that the charge goes directly from one plate to the other. If you charge a capacitor with a battery, the charge goes from one plate, through the wires and the battery to the other plate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook