How does current flow in an antenna?

In summary: The alternating current flow in the middle of the dipole generates a magnetic field and the alternating voltage at the ends of the dipole generate an electrostatic field. These radiate out from the dipole as a radio signal.All of the above are good answers.
HydroGuy
Let's say we have a dipole antenna that we are using to radiate a signal. The dipole antenna (think rabbit ears) has two ends that appear to me to be open circuits.

Maybe my problem is that I have too much circuit background and not enough EM, but how does current flow through these rabbit ears? There is no return path, no loop, so where does it "go"? I know that it's radiating, but I feel that I'm missing something here...

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
It goes back and forth in the antenna. It does not have time to go beyond the ends of the antenna because it changes direction too fast. The length of the dipole antenna is proportional to the wavelength of the radio frequency. Remember, the electrons moving in the antenna are moving at the speed of light. The higher the frequency the shorter the dipole length. You can calculate the length with 468 / frequency (in Mhz).

Last edited:
In this diagram, you can see the current and voltage patterns in a resonant dipole antenna.

dipole voltage and current.PNG

This is RF (high frequency AC) energy. The pattern is caused when one cycle of the incoming signal reaches the end of the antenna and is reflected and gets back to the center feedpoint just as a new cycle is entering the dipole. Just like standing waves in musical instruments.

These are real voltages and currents which can be measured, but they seem pretty bizarre if you haven't seen them before.

The alternating current flow in the middle of the dipole generates a magnetic field and the alternating voltage at the ends of the dipole generate an electrostatic field. These radiate out from the dipole as a radio signal.

All of the above are good answers. I would only add the following 2 words - displacement current. As correctly stated above, the current moves back and forth in each conductor. The path is indeed open, but displacement current does not need a closed path.

The only issue I have with the previous post is that the current and the magnetic field are mutual. There is no evidence that the current "generates" the H field. Likewise, voltage & E field are mutual. V does not generate E. Otherwise, I agree with the above.

Claude

I picture the magnetic component being generated like this:

200px-Electromagnetism.svg.png

HydroGuy said:
Let's say we have a dipole antenna that we are using to radiate a signal. The dipole antenna (think rabbit ears) has two ends that appear to me to be open circuits.

Maybe my problem is that I have too much circuit background and not enough EM, but how does current flow through these rabbit ears? There is no return path, no loop, so where does it "go"? I know that it's radiating, but I feel that I'm missing something here...

Thanks

Take a glass half full of water, then move it back and forth.
Look at how the water moves, it's more or less how voltage and current move in a antenna.

TurtleMeister said:
... The length of the dipole antenna is proportional to the wavelength of the radio frequency. Remember, the electrons moving in the antenna are moving at the speed of light. ...
You mean the electromagnetic field travels at the speed of light, not the electrons, which travel at the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drift_velocity" in a conductor.

Last edited by a moderator:

How does current flow in an antenna?

Current flow in an antenna is a result of electromagnetic waves interacting with the conductive elements of the antenna. The flow of current is essential to the functioning of an antenna as it produces the electromagnetic field that allows for the transmission and reception of signals.

What is the role of the feedline in current flow in an antenna?

The feedline is responsible for delivering the electrical signal from the transmitter to the antenna. The current flows through the feedline and into the antenna, where it is converted into electromagnetic waves.

What factors affect the current flow in an antenna?

The current flow in an antenna can be affected by various factors such as the frequency of the signal, the length and design of the antenna, and the surrounding environment. Changes in these factors can alter the current flow and impact the performance of the antenna.

How is the current flow in an antenna measured?

The current flow in an antenna is typically measured using a device called a current probe. This device is placed around the antenna's feedline, and it measures the strength of the electromagnetic field produced by the current flow.

What happens if there is too much current flow in an antenna?

If there is too much current flow in an antenna, it can cause the antenna to overheat and potentially damage its components. It can also lead to interference with other electronic devices and affect the quality of the signals being transmitted or received.