How does fringe shift relate to velocity in the Michelson-morley experiment?

• Thread starter Benzoate
  • Start date
In summary, the Michelson-morley experiment measures the fringe shift, or change in period of vibration, of light when an interferometer is rotated by 90 degrees. Using the equation delta(t)=(L*v^2)/(c^3), where L is the path length and c is the speed of light, the velocity of Earth's motion through the ether can be calculated. This velocity is related to the fringe shift, but does not affect it. By finding the average velocity along the path of the interferometer and using the equation L/v1-L/v2=delta(t)=L*v^2/c^3, the unknown variables can be eliminated and the velocity can be determined. The fringe shift is equal to delta(t)/T
Benzoate

Homework Statement

A shift of one fringe in the Michelson-morley experiment would result from a difference of one wavelength or a change of one period of vibration in the round trip travel of the light when the interferometer is rotated by 90 degrees. What speed would the Michelson have computed for Earth's motion through the ether had the experiment seen a shift of one fringe?

Homework Equations

delta(t)=(L*v^2)/(c^3)

The Attempt at a Solution

delta=(L*v^2)/(c^3) => v=sqrt((c^3*delta(t))/(L)) , where L is the length of the wavelength andd c is the speed of light.

I don't understand how shifting the fringe would effect the velocity.

My professor says I'm have the right equation for finding the velocitiy of the Earth's motion, But he says the velocity is also related to the fringe where the fringe is represented by light over one period per wavelenght and light oscillates over that period.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the L in your formula is not the wavelength of the light. It's the total path length of each interferometer arm. The wavelength of light enters via the delta(t). delta(t)=w/c, where w in the wavelength of the light. And you shouldn't be thinking the fringe affects the velocity, the velocity affects the shift in the fringe. If light were traveling in a medium, then along the interferometer arm pointing in the direction of the Earth's motion the velocity of light would be c+v in one direction and c-v in the other. The average velocity along that path of the interferometer is then less than c - can you show this?

Last edited:
Dick said:
I think the L in your formula is not the wavelength of the light. It's the total path length of each interferometer arm. The wavelength of light enters via the delta(t). delta(t)=w/c, where w in the wavelength of the light. And you shouldn't be thinking the fringe affects the velocity, the velocity affects the shift in the fringe. If light were traveling in a medium, then along the interferometer arm pointing in the direction of the Earth's motion the velocity of light would be c+v in one direction and c-v in the other. The average velocity along that path of the interferometer is then less than c - can you show this?
Yes you are correct in that L is the path length of the interferometer.
I thought the wavelength was equal to c/v. Perhaps you are saying that I need to find the wavelength of light , in order to find the speed of the Earth motion

What does the average velocity being less than c have to do with the finding the velocitity

v= sqrt(((c^3)*delta(t))/(L)) . How do I find delta t and L?

in order to find the velocity

If a signal travels down one path of length L with speed v1 and another with speed v2 then the time difference is L/v1-L/v2. If this difference is half the period of the light wave then they will interfere destructively and cause a dark band. You don't find L. It's given by the design of the interferometer. Nor do you find delta(t), that's follows from the wavelength of the light you use in the interferometer as I've already explained. You find only v.

Dick said:
If a signal travels down one path of length L with speed v1 and another with speed v2 then the time difference is L/v1-L/v2. If this difference is half the period of the light wave then they will interfere destructively and cause a dark band. You don't find L. It's given by the design of the interferometer. Nor do you find delta(t), that's follows from the wavelength of the light you use in the interferometer as I've already explained. You find only v.

I think I understand now. L/v1-L/v2=delta(t)=L*v^2/c^3 , now it will be easier to cancel out the L to find v(1) and v(2) because don only variable in the equation for v would be c, and c is of course a constant. There would be no more unkown variables.

So is L/2 the one way path and L is the round-trip path?

The fringe shift is just [tex]\delta{t}/T[/tex] where [tex]T = \lambda/c[/tex]

learningphysics said:
So is L/2 the one way path and L is the round-trip path?

The fringe shift is just [tex]\delta{t}/T[/tex] where [tex]T = \lambda/c[/tex]

Yes to all. I think I did say "total path length".

Related to How does fringe shift relate to velocity in the Michelson-morley experiment?

1. What is the Michelson-Morley problem?

The Michelson-Morley problem refers to an experiment conducted in 1887 by Albert Michelson and Edward Morley to detect the existence of the luminiferous ether, a hypothesized substance thought to be the medium through which light travels. The experiment aimed to measure the speed of light in different directions in order to determine if there was a difference in speed due to the movement of the Earth through the ether.

2. Why was the Michelson-Morley experiment significant?

The Michelson-Morley experiment was significant because it provided evidence that the luminiferous ether did not exist, contradicting the prevailing belief at the time. This result ultimately led to the development of the theory of relativity by Albert Einstein, which revolutionized our understanding of space and time.

3. What was the outcome of the Michelson-Morley experiment?

The outcome of the Michelson-Morley experiment was a null result, meaning that no difference in the speed of light was detected in different directions. This result was unexpected and challenged the existing theories of the time, leading to the development of new theories such as the theory of relativity.

4. What does the Michelson-Morley experiment tell us about the nature of light?

The Michelson-Morley experiment showed that the speed of light is constant, regardless of the direction in which it is measured. This challenged the existing belief that light traveled through a medium and instead supported the idea that it travels through a vacuum. This result was a crucial step towards the development of modern physics.

5. How did the Michelson-Morley experiment contribute to the development of modern physics?

The Michelson-Morley experiment provided evidence that the speed of light is constant and does not require a medium to travel through, paving the way for the theory of relativity. This experiment also had a significant impact on the study of quantum mechanics and led to a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.