How Does Group Orbit Theory Relate Torus and Cylinder Structures?

In summary: The orbit space of the action of the integers on the real line is a cylinder. The sturcture of the torus is built up from the orbits of this group. It has height because the orbits go around the circumference of the cylinder.
jackferry
I was listening to this lecture: and in it, sometime around the 30:00 to 40:00 minute mark, he implies that the torus' sturcture built up from the orbits of the group under addition on the real plane is the same idea as the cylinder's structure being built up from the orbits of the group under addition on the real line. This makes sense to me, except for the fact that it seems to me that in the case of the cylinder, it shouldn't have any height in order to be analogous to the torus. Moving around the circumference of the cylinder is equated with cycling through the different orbits, similar to moving along either circle in the torus. However there is nothing in the torus analogous to the moving along the height of the cylinder, and so it seems to me that a better analogy would use a circle instead of a cylinder. Is that the case, or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
jackferry said:
However there is nothing in the torus analogous to the moving along the height of the cylinder, and so it seems to me that a better analogy would use a circle instead of a cylinder.

but you can go from a circle of the torus to another circle of the torus, so this orbit is a cylinder.
Ssnow

jackferry said:
I was listening to this lecture:, sometime around the 30:00 to 40:00 minute mark, he implies that the torus' sturcture built up from the orbits of the group under addition on the real plane is the same idea as the cylinder's structure being built up from the orbits of the group under addition on the real line.

The cylinder is the space of orbits of the action of the integers on the plane. The action can be taken to be horizontal translation of the plane by an integer amount. ##n⋅(x,y) = (x+n,y)##. The orbit space of the action of the integers on the real line ##n⋅x=x+n## is a circle.

For the torus the group is different. It is the group ##Z×Z## the group of pairs of integers ##(n,m)## under coordinatewise addition. Its action on the plane is ##(n,m)⋅(x,y) = (n+x,m+y)##.

Last edited:

Related to How Does Group Orbit Theory Relate Torus and Cylinder Structures?

1. What is a Group Orbit space?

A Group Orbit space is a mathematical concept in group theory that represents the set of all orbits of a group acting on a given space. It is a way of categorizing and studying the symmetries of a space.

2. How is a Group Orbit space calculated?

The calculation of a Group Orbit space involves first identifying the group acting on the space and then determining the orbits of that group. This can be done by applying the group's operations to points in the space and observing which points remain invariant.

3. What is the importance of studying Group Orbit spaces?

Studying Group Orbit spaces allows for a better understanding of the symmetries and structures of a given space. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science.

4. Can a Group Orbit space have different structures?

Yes, a Group Orbit space can have different structures depending on the group acting on the space. This is because different groups have different operations and symmetries, which results in different types of orbits and ultimately, different structures.

5. Are there any real-world examples of Group Orbit spaces?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of Group Orbit spaces. For instance, the orbits of planets around the sun can be seen as a Group Orbit space, with the sun acting as the group and the planets as the orbits. Another example is the symmetries of a molecule, which can be represented by a Group Orbit space.