How Does Heat Addition Change the Temperature of an Ideal Gas?

  • Thread starter Thread starter keemosabi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Law Thermodynamics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
keemosabi
Messages
109
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Three moles of an ideal monatomic gas are at a temperature of 345 K. Then, 2114 J of heat are added to the gas, and 811 J of work are done on it. What is the final temperature of the gas?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I have a feeling I'm missing an equation. I thought the equation was U = Q - W but that won't help me here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
keemosabi said:
[

The Attempt at a Solution


I have a feeling I'm missing an equation. I thought the equation was U = Q - W but that won't help me here.
How is U related to temperature? Hint: what is the specific heat of a monatomic gas at constant volume (where W = 0 so Q = U)?

AM
 
keemosabi said:
Doesn't it depend upon the gas?
Not if it is an ideal gas, which this is. The specific heat is Cv = 3R/2 where R is the universal gas constant (units are J/mole K). Since, by definition, [itex]\Delta Q = nC_v\Delta T[/itex] and [itex]\Delta U = \Delta Q[/itex] for a constant volume process and since U is a function only of T, it follows that

[tex]\Delta U = nC_v\Delta T[/itex]<br /> <br /> regardless of the type of process.<br /> <br /> AM[/tex]