Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does lorentz law affect a single charge?

1. Jul 23, 2008 #1
    wires attracted if the currents in both direction otherwise there is rejection.

how that law affect a single charge?

why does lorentz law is not one of maxwell equations, seems to be quite important...
    it is the law for magnetic forces , like coulomb's law - for electric forces.

I don't have the math knowledge to understand it , sorry...

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2008 #2
    My understanding is that Maxwell's Equations describe how electric and magnetic fields are generated by charge and current densities. They are differential field equations which relate the sources of the fields with the fields themselves at points in space.
    By integrating the equations, you can derive stuff like Coulomb's Law and ,say,the magnetic field of a current-carrying conductor.

The Lorentz force law describes the force on an electric charge moving in an external magnetic field. So, it is a different kind of thing compared with Maxwell equations. Also, I think the Lorentz law is a consequence of Maxwell's equations and does not describe any new physics .

4. Jul 25, 2008 #3
    How does lorentz law derives from maxwell equations?

what is the meaning of the law which says that there is no monopole but only dipole.
    it seems like a conclusion and not a law.

5. Jul 25, 2008 #4
    I think it's possible in principle to derive the Lorentz force law from Maxwell's Equations but I've just read there are some technical problems (See http://arxiv.org/abs/physics?papernum=0206022

The 'law' is the observation that there are no magnetic monopoles (free magnetic point charges).
    This is encapsulated in the Maxwell equation:
    div B = 0
    As there are no magnetic monopoles this means magnetic field lines are always continuous.

6. Jul 26, 2008 #5
    you tube !

minute 20 explains lorentz = relativity + Coulomb

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?