Why does rectal cancer give a sense of incomplete evacuation

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cancer
In summary, the symptom of rectal tenesmus is due to the irritation of the bowel nerves and is more likely to occur with cancers in that area. The disruption of the natural patterns of the bowel due to the inflammation may lead to the person altering their habits, and the person has cancer which can contribute to the disruption.
sameeralord
Hello everyone,

1.I was wondering what is the exact mechanism that rectal cancer gives a sense of incomplete evacuation after defecation (Tenesmus in scientific language). Also why is this is not present in colon cancer higher up eg in ascending colon cancer and only lower down like rectal cancer?

2. Also while we are at it. Why does alteration of bowel habits occur in rectal carcinoma?

What I think is, due to the colon lumen obstruction by the cancer first you get constipation and faeces build up. The bacteria work on this faeces and break them into liquid, causing diarrhoea. Am I right?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
I think there are a number of answers to these questions. You might want to start by looking up rectal tenesmus. The symptom can occur with just about any condition that enflames the bowel. The nerves that signal the need to pass fecal matter can be irritated by the inflamation resulting in an uncomfortable, painful, and anxiety-inducing condition. Obviously one would have more of these nerves in the rectum compared to higher up the tract, which I suspect would be why the symptom would be more likely with cancers in that area. Although, do you have any evidence of this?

As to the second question, I don't think you can chalk it up to a single cause. Whenever you have inflamation of the recutm and surrounding tissues this is going to disrupt natural patterns. The biome is going to change. The individual will be more sensitive to the presence or absence of fecal matter or gas. Anxiety, pain, and/or discomfort will likely force the individual into altering his or her habits - consciously using the washroom more often, subconscioulsy avoiding prolonged periods where washroom access may be limited. Often the person will choose to alter his or her diet. On top of that, the person has cancer. Cells that are normally supposed to be doing one thing - providing a lining for the bowel for example - are doing something else. You have new vasculature growing to feed the cancer.

Likes sameeralord and Evo
Thanks for the great response Choppy.

1. Why does rectal cancer cause a sense of incomplete evacuation?

Rectal cancer can cause a sense of incomplete evacuation due to the tumor obstructing the rectum and making it difficult for stool to pass through. The muscles in the rectum may also be weakened or damaged, making it challenging to completely empty the rectum.

2. Is the sensation of incomplete evacuation always a symptom of rectal cancer?

No, the sensation of incomplete evacuation is not always a symptom of rectal cancer. It can also be caused by other conditions such as hemorrhoids, constipation, or inflammatory bowel disease.

3. Can this symptom be present in all stages of rectal cancer?

Yes, the feeling of incomplete evacuation can be present in all stages of rectal cancer. However, it is more commonly experienced in advanced stages when the tumor has grown larger and is causing more obstruction in the rectum.

4. How does rectal cancer affect the muscles in the rectum?

The tumor in the rectum can affect the muscles in several ways. It can cause weakness or damage to the muscles, making it difficult for them to contract and relax properly. It can also cause inflammation and scarring in the muscles, further hindering their ability to function effectively.

5. Can anything be done to relieve the sensation of incomplete evacuation in rectal cancer patients?

Yes, there are ways to relieve the sensation of incomplete evacuation in rectal cancer patients. These include medication to soften stool and make it easier to pass, dietary changes to increase fiber intake and improve bowel movements, and surgery to remove the tumor and improve bowel function. It is essential to consult with a doctor to determine the best course of action for individual cases.

Back