Why do bowel peforation and strangulation have similar signs

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks for bringing them up! From what I have read, strangulation and perforation have a few things in common. Strangulation can cause ischaemia of tissues, and perforation can cause infection. Both can also cause cytokine storm, which is a severe form of cytokine release.
sameeralord
Hello everyone,

From what I have read I have deduced that both bowel peforation and strangulation have same clinical features, which are fever, leukocytosis, pain, tenderness, increase in vital signs (eg tachycardia)

1. Why is this? Is it becase strangulation bowel (which means necrosis really) eventually lead to peforation. If not how do you differentiate between the two?

2. If bowel peforation occurs, peritonitis is bound to happen, so are these clinical features due to peritonitis. If not why do these two things cause these clinical features. Eg why cause fever?

3. If some abdominal organ burst, peritonitis can occur. If a thoracic organ occurs infection of thoracic cabity can occur, what do you call that?

Thanks a lot :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
1 and 2 are the result of bacteria from inside of the colon escaping into surrounding tissue.

As for #3 could you please reword it? I do not get what you are asking. The pericardium of the heart constrains bacteria from already existing heart infections from spreading outward. Is that what you mean? The pleural sac around the lungs kind of works the same way.

Likes sameeralord
jim mcnamara said:
1 and 2 are the result of bacteria from inside of the colon escaping into surrounding tissue.

As for #3 could you please reword it? I do not get what you are asking. The pericardium of the heart constrains bacteria from already existing heart infections from spreading outward. Is that what you mean? The pleural sac around the lungs kind of works the same way.

Thanks for the reply. What I mean from 3rd question is, inflammation of peritoneal cavity is called peritonitis, so like wise what is the scientific term for inflammation of thoracic cavity? So either pleuritis or pericarditis I suppose. Any way so the reason that both strangulation and peforation have same clinical features is as you have said both lead to similar outcome, bacterial leak out. Is that right ?

Inflammation within the mediastinum is called mediastinitis. Infection with in the pleura is called empyema. Infection with in the pericardium can be suppurative pericarditis.

The difference between strangulation and perforation is mildly academic. Strangulation causes Ischaemia of tissues and therefore massive cytokine release. This explains the systemic inflammatory response and the sympathetic nervous system stimulation. The treatment is much the same ie operative management although with perforation there is a greater need for more thorough washout in order to prevent abscess formation over the following days

Likes sameeralord
Thanks - I did not fully understand the questions. @hugh reid You did...

"Cytokine release syndrome" when severe == "cytokine storm" two possible google searches for the OP.

Likes sameeralord
Thanks for all the help

@Hugh: Yeah that is what I meant from 3rd question. It seems mediastinitis is the word I was after. However inflammation of pleura is pleuritis, and empyema is collection of pus in pleura. I think that is what you meant when you said infection in pleura instead of inflammation. Yeah cytokin release explains the clinical features well

@Jim: Yeap good topics to search for me.

1. Why do bowel perforation and strangulation have similar signs?

Both bowel perforation and strangulation are medical emergencies that involve damage to the intestines. The similarities in their signs can be attributed to the fact that they both result in a lack of blood flow to the affected area, which can lead to tissue death and other complications.

2. What are the common signs of bowel perforation and strangulation?

The common signs of bowel perforation and strangulation include severe abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, bloating, constipation or diarrhea, and fever. In some cases, patients may also experience difficulty passing gas or stools.

3. Can bowel perforation and strangulation be diagnosed through physical examination?

While a physical examination can provide some clues, further imaging tests such as X-rays, CT scans, and ultrasounds are necessary to confirm a diagnosis of bowel perforation or strangulation. These tests can also help identify the location and severity of the damage.

4. What are the potential causes of bowel perforation and strangulation?

Bowel perforation can be caused by a variety of factors, including trauma, infection, and certain medical procedures. Strangulation, on the other hand, is often caused by a blockage of blood flow to the intestines, which can be due to a hernia, adhesions, or volvulus.

5. How are bowel perforation and strangulation treated?

Both conditions require prompt medical treatment, which may include surgery to repair the damage and remove any obstructions. Antibiotics may also be prescribed to prevent or treat infections. In severe cases, a portion of the intestines may need to be removed. Recovery time and prognosis depend on the extent and location of the damage.