Using 7 segment displays with adders

• Thread starter Mike Charlie
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to wire up 7 segment displays for a project involving creating a darts scorer. They have successfully designed a 16-bit adder but are having trouble connecting the 7 segment displays to the outputs. They are considering using an Arduino with a display adapter as a possible solution. The individual originally posted this question 5 years ago and it is uncertain if they have found a solution since then.
Mike Charlie
Hi I've been thinking of a project (nothing to do with college work) for me to do for a while now and finally came up with making a darts scorer as I can't find a diy one online. So I went to my crocodile technology and started mocking up a circuit. So far I have designed a 16 bit adder and when I tested it I happily saw it output binary in the correct way, however I then tried to simulate a 7 segment display unit connected to the adders outputs I couldn't get it working. So that is my question how do I wire up 7 segment displays?

Extra Info:
  • The adder has 17 outputs (including the carry output)
  • It needs to connect to 4 separate 7 segment display
  • The displays should not go past 9 (i.e goes to 0 and increases next display)

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
OK, so this question is 5 years old, and I expect you've got your answer or given up by now, but: There really isn't any simple way (74xx-wise) to do what you want. The 7447 will change a 4-bit BCD number to a 7-segment value, but converting a 16 bit value into 4/5 BCD numbers is a bit more tricky. Likewise, most multi-digit 7-segment displays only drive one digit at a time, so you have to rapidly multiplex the segments across the digits. My guess is that the best path (nowadays) would be an arduino with a display adapter. Then you can just call the "output a number" routine, and life will be good.

Good luck if you decide todo this all in logic gates - that would be a cool project.
-Jeff

JeffEvarts said:
OK, so this question is 5 years old, and I expect you've got your answer or given up by now, but: ...
I doubt he'll see your post, as he was last active here Feb 25, 2013.

But he might get an email...

<shrug>

-Jeff

Likes dlgoff

What is a 7 segment display?

A 7 segment display is a type of electronic display device that is commonly used to represent decimal numbers and some letters or symbols. It consists of seven LED segments arranged in a specific pattern to form numbers from 0 to 9.

How do I connect a 7 segment display to an adder?

To connect a 7 segment display to an adder, you will need to use a decoder circuit. This circuit takes the binary outputs from the adder and converts them into signals that can be displayed on the 7 segment display. The outputs from the decoder circuit are then connected to the individual segments of the display.

What is the purpose of using 7 segment displays with adders?

The purpose of using 7 segment displays with adders is to provide a visual representation of the output from the adder. This allows for easier understanding and interpretation of the results. It is also commonly used in electronic devices such as calculators and digital clocks.

What are the limitations of using 7 segment displays with adders?

One limitation of using 7 segment displays with adders is that they can only display numerical values from 0 to 9. They also cannot display decimal points or negative numbers without additional circuitry. Additionally, the size of the display may be limited, making it difficult to display larger numbers or longer strings of digits.

Are there any alternatives to using 7 segment displays with adders?

Yes, there are alternative display options such as LCD displays or dot matrix displays that can also be used with adders. These displays offer more flexibility in terms of the characters and symbols they can display, but may be more complex and expensive to implement.